Can someone talk to me about Routers please

pj123 13:59 30 Aug 04

cos I know nuffink about them. I have a friend who has just gone BB and everything is working fine. His wife has her own computer and is still on PAYG dialup. He now wants to connect the other computer via a router. How does this work? Does the other computer need the same BB software or does it just work through the router? How does it connect to each computer? Both computers do not have LAN connections but they do have USB. I am told that Routers do not have USB connections only LAN, is that true?

I thought that this "Switching Hub" might work as it says "any USB device" but have since been told it is a no-go. click here

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

wallbash 14:22 30 Aug 04

First question must be why the poor wife is still on Dial up, share BB .Lets have a few more details, ISP,OS etc.

Fitting lan cards is not going to be a problem, and cost is small. Using USB is possible but Lan is Better. Have recntly changed my Router to Origo (with print server) but have a wired 'household' Wireless seems to be dropping in cost every month, so could be the way to go

Forum Editor 14:48 30 Aug 04

until the cows come home, but that won't be necessary with this enquiry. Here's the quick and simple way to do what your friend wants to do:-

1. Suggest that he buys a wireless broadband router - one that has its own ADSL modem built in. There are literally dozens to choose from, but I personally recommend Netgear hardware at the moment.

2. Then tell him to install an ordinary LAN card in the computer that's near to the router.

3. Tell him to buy a wireless network adapter. for the second computer. This can either be internal (PCI slot) or external (USB), and won't be expensive.

4. Now all he has to do is set up the router (takes about 15 minutes) by connecting a lead from it to the ADSL microfilter, and a LAN lead from the router to the first computer. So far so good, he will now have broadband internet access on his machine via the router.

5. Next he has to install the wireless network adapter in the second machine. If he's opted for an internal PCI type he just needs to open up the case, insert the card and let Windows XP detect the card. He should cancel the Windows default driver installation and then use the driver disk that comes in the pack. If he's opted for a USB type adapter tell him to install the software BEFORE connecting the device.

6. Now reboot everything, including the router, and watch the computers pick up the internet connection. On the wireless machine it will probably be necessary to click on the adapter icon in the system tray (bottom right) and tell it to detect wireless networks (although it may do this on its own). Then tell it to use the connection it finds.

That's it - your friend should/will have two machines sharing the connection via the router. Tell him that he doesn't need to leave the router on all the time (I turn mine off at night), because it will automatically login to the broadband gateway each time it's turned on - all he has to do is watch the lights.

It's almost easier to do than it is to write about it - he'll have no problems I'm sure.

pj123 14:51 30 Aug 04

Right, here's the story. "er indoors" has a computer with Win XP. PAYG ISP is/was Freeserve. "him indoors" used a Canon Starwriter Wordprocessor. She persuaded him to get his own computer which he did, Win98SE. They both had PAYG dialup on the same ISP (not at the same time though). They have now updated the Win98SE PC to BB with Freeserve/Wanadoo (because he uses it more). As it is working fine on the Win98SE PC they now want to extend it to the Win XP PC to free up the phone line. They do not both need to be logged on at the same time. I thought the Switching Hub might be the ideal situation, but I am told that a router would be better, as they could both be on the Internet at the same time.

pj123 15:10 30 Aug 04

Thank you FE. Very comprehensive. Can you give me a link to the Netgear stuff please?

Mango Grummit 01:22 31 Aug 04
  wee eddie 03:15 31 Aug 04

You have just saved me a couple of hours of head-scratching research.

end 06:40 31 Aug 04

(adding to "My Postings" for my info.tas)

georgemac 07:43 31 Aug 04

I have a netgear wireless router with adsl modem built in. The modem has failed so now I am left with a useless piece of kit - unless netgear will repair or replace it - still trying to contact them.

With hindsight I may have chosen a wireless router with a modem that plugs in to the router with an rj11 connector.

Whatever you choose, ensure it is all connected through a proper surge protector, including the phone line.

pj123 14:01 31 Aug 04

Thanks for all the input Guys. I think I can sort it out from here now. Ticked as resolved.

georgemac 14:44 31 Aug 04

by the way, got through to netgear tech support this morning after only 10 mins on hold, and they have arranged for a replacement router, emailed me a return address lable and will get a replacement within 10 working days.

Also would have offered a next day replacement at a cost, did not ask what, can live without wireless for a couple of weeks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…