Can someone explain what Contrast Ratio is?

ACOLYTE 24 Aug 11

Im thinking of getting a new monitor,i have 2 in mind and they are almost identical one is about £16 dearer,and the only difference i can see in the specs is one has Contrast Ratio(Typical) DC 20,000:1 (1000:1)

and the other has Contrast Ratio(Typical) DC 60,000:1 (1000:1)

is the extra 40.000:1 worth the extra money?

eedcam 24 Aug 11

have a trawl through this

link text

northumbria61 24 Aug 11

As with TV's - the higher the contrast ratio the better quality picture you will have. "Worth the extra money"? That's up to you and what you can afford - how often do you buy a monitor ?? It is something you will spend a lot of time looking at.

ACOLYTE 24 Aug 11

Thanks i believe i understand now,its all a matter of perception and positioning,and everyone's eyes see different,so what may be good for one is not also good for someone else.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

IKinema aims to banish droopy shoulders and wonky spines in animated CG characters

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message