Can someone confirm this...power supply problem???

Doire_Bhoy 08:46 05 Jul 06

Hi,

My friend phoned me lastnight to look at his pc.

He is running Win XP.

When he turns on his pc, it gets as far as the Windows Welcome screen then there is a "clicking" noise and the pc reboots.

I ran chkdsk to try and fix any errors using a Win Admin boot CD. However the problem still happens.

I also took out the RAM (he only has one stick in there) and reseated it. Still the problem exists.

Also i can get into SAFE MODE or Last Known Good Configuration.....as the system just reboots again.

So would i be right in suggesting that its the power supply?

The PC is 9 or 10 years old.

Thanks for any help.

Doire_Bhoy 08:48 05 Jul 06

Sorry that should read

"Also i CANT get into SAFE MODE or Last Known Good Configuration.....as the system just reboots again.

rmcqua 08:56 05 Jul 06

Unlikely to be the PSU, as this would probably show up before the welcome screen. Does the problem always appear at exactly the same time during the boot process?

€dstowe 09:02 05 Jul 06

Little bit of incongruity here.

"The PC is 9 or 10 years old."

and

"He is running Win XP."

A nine or ten year old computer would have had Windows 95 as its original O/S. Not ideal for running WXP.

Is this right?

Anyway, clicking during bootup can sometimes be caused by a failed/failing hard drive desperately trying to get going. At ten years old, not really surprising it's worn out.

Doire_Bhoy 09:11 05 Jul 06

Yes,the probelm appears at the same time. Just at the Welcome Screen.

Although the pc is old, someone had installed XP on it and upgraded the RAM too.

€dstowe 09:57 05 Jul 06

Suspect the hard drive - they don't last forever.

The Old Mod 10:09 05 Jul 06

I would agree with others, hard drive not PSU.

keef66 10:37 05 Jul 06

when ours (at 3 yrs old) did that it turned out to be the memory.

Sounded like it was starting up normally, then a click from inside the case and it would shut down again.
Mind you, I don't think it was getting as far as the windows welcome screen.

Also had similar symptoms with a colleague's 5yr old pc, which did turn out to be the PSU.

Borrow psu / compatible ram from another pc in order to check.

biteblue 16:54 05 Jul 06

It could be a fan problem in the PSU (ie. the mechanical parts in the PSU clicking) but i really think its most likely that its the hard drive.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:31 05 Jul 06

Corrupt device driver (Vxd)or bad sector on HDD a repair install could fix it.

HDD do not last for ever some unfortunates don not last eve the warrenty time, however am currently running some machines with nearly 20 year old HDDs sucessfully.

Ray5776 17:46 05 Jul 06

Try this click here
click here

for some clues

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009