Can software installation damage hardware

cop 19:28 26 Oct 04

3 weeks ago I attempted to upgrade my HyperOS software to version 2004FE on my Windows XP machine. In the process I experienced problems on rebooting and these got to a point where the system stalled in the middle of the boot up process or kept rebooting. Attempts to first repair and then reinstall Windows XP on a reformatted disk failed despite several attempts so assuming a hardware problem I took the computer to what appears to be a professional reputable firm but they had trouble isolating the problem and before they diagnosed a faulty power supply damage was done to motherboard, processor and 1 of the memory sticks all of which were replaced- Ouch!

I collected the machine today and XP was working on the reformatted striped raid array. All seemed OK so I attempted to install HyperOS 2004TE having created partitions with Partition Magic. I now find myself with the system malfunctioning in exactly the same way as it did before. I have had several generations of HyperOS without any trouble at all could it be causing my problems with the hardware or is the original hardware fault still not fixed?
I would be grateful for any suggestions
Thanks

Belatucadrus 19:37 26 Oct 04

Overclocking software badly used could cause physical damage through overheating. I don't know enough about HyperOs to pass informed comment, but it would seem unlikely.

Diemmess 19:46 26 Oct 04

I have been using HyperOs for a year or so.
The system is very badly supported in my opinion, but after spending a lot of money and huge amount of time, the result is now stable and I can justify my effort to myself!

So......... No, I cannot see why this software could damage your hardware.

Wrong loading of "firmware" may threaten some things like a CD writer, where the user is solemnly warned against any variation in the catechism by which it can be updated. Even there, as with the BIOS, it should be possible to back track with the original code.

I started HyperOs with Win 98SE (of course) but later added Win 2000 which far from upsetting things, seemed to run even better. I imagine XP would be no different. Most recently I upgraded to FE (Build S11.58.37) and all went smoothly.

In my view your serious problems lie with the computer hardware or the installation details of XP

Dorsai 19:54 26 Oct 04

Software can damage hardware, but it seems unlikely that trying to install a reputible program would. (i assume Hyper OS is reputable)

There are certian viruses that can trash a PC's bios, by overwriting it (flashing) with crud, but i have no idea if this then also takes out other parts.

A faulty PSU can of course fry the whole PC. All parts take power from it, and if it supplies, say, 20v on the 12v line, this will very likely kill all 12 parts, which as they burn out, will take other bits with them. Domino effect type thing.

If the problem still persists, could it be that a part that still seems to work is overloading the PSu, causing it to fail, and then when the PSU fails, it fry's other stuff?

Else, the real problem has not been fixed, and the bits replaced were not faulty. Hard to say.

I always ask for my replaced parts back, then if they turn out to be ok, you can ask for the not needed bit to be removed, and the old, ok, part to be re-fitted.

Perhaps others have a better idea.

cop 20:59 26 Oct 04

thanks for your help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…