Can software cause umountable boot volume error

Mbube 16:34 02 Dec 06

My Windows XP computer recently suffered an umountable boot volume error. Fortunately I have got the pc up an running again. While it was failing to reboot I was informed that Windows did not start successfully a recent hardware or software change might have caused this. The only change I had made was to install a program called GSP Music Clean my pc crashed a few times while using this software before the boot volume error occured. I have now uninstalled the software, could it have caused the problem and if not should I reinstall it. I am reluctant to do so in case my pc crashes again

Any advice would be great thanks.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:44 02 Dec 06

Unmountable boot volume error can occur if the bootsector of the drive becomes corrupted either by bad hard drive (hardware)or the file on the boot sector gets damaged or you contract a boot sector virus (software).

It is very unlikely that installing your program caused the problem, unless using the program to clean unwanted music files caused it to wipe a system file instead.

Mbube 17:09 02 Dec 06

Thanks Fruit Bat

I'd only used the software for a day trying to record old audio cassettes on to my pc in order to put them onto my mp3 player. So it's unlikely that any system files would have been wiped, I didn't really think the software was the culprit but I didn't want to take the risk. The last time I had major crashing problems I ended up buying a new hard drive and then a new motherboard (with hindsight buying a new pc would have been easier). Anyway I will have another go with the software and see what happens

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…