Can she cancel

Kevscar1 17:07 21 Nov 09

Daughter signed up for Mobile Braodband and free laptop at Orange Shop this afternoon. She has set everything up and tried it out. I've had a look and it is not a good deal.
Contract says, Please Note that 14 day money back is not available.
Does she have a Statutory right to cancel tomorrow.

Technotiger 17:09 21 Nov 09

I have not read through this, but it might help ...

click here

wiz-king 17:14 21 Nov 09

Unless it is a really bad deal, let her run with it. She will have learnt a lesson that will stand her in good stead later.
I cant help on the legalities but it sounds like that clause is very dubious.

Pamy 17:18 21 Nov 09

Why do you think it not a good deal?

Kevscar1 17:35 21 Nov 09

Because she can get a better laptop with 3 x the download limit for £5 per month less elsewhere.

Pineman100 17:40 21 Nov 09

If your daughter signed the contract on the Orange shop premises, then I don't think there's any "cooling-off period" that she can cite, in order to break the contract.

And I don't think she'll be able to break it simply by showing that she could have paid less elsewhere (unless Orange have a "price promise" policy).

I suspect that she's stuck with it. And let's be honest - when she signed the contract, she was presumably happy with the deal. So, it's probably best - as wiz-king says - just to live with it.

Pamy 17:41 21 Nov 09

well she thought it was OK at the time. Pitty she did not ask for your expert advice before buying. Do not think she has much chance, but a few tears and emotion may get it canncelled.

Kevscar1 18:59 21 Nov 09

Actually there is.
All these are cons. They state the laptop is free but it,s not you are paying for it.
Her deal is £35 per month for a 5 Gb limit therefore it should still be £35 per month if you don't have the free laptop however you can get a 10gb deal for £24.47 per month.
That definitly makes it a case for Trading Standards and as it is fraud perhaps even a criminal offence.

Pamy 19:04 21 Nov 09

Go for it

bremner 19:17 21 Nov 09

"That definitly makes it a case for Trading Standards and as it is fraud perhaps even a criminal offence"

Do you serious think that this is likely to be the case. Many people would already have signed up for this and as sure as eggs are eggs someone would have already challenged this if it was fraud.

As for being a criminal offence - get serious.

sharpamat 19:36 21 Nov 09

I suspect that you will find that the contract is fully within the Law, It may be that your not happy however most big companies like Orange have Legal Experts word their contracts.

As advised cheak it out with trading standards. But dont stop paying or return the laptop within the minumin contract period. because you will still have to pay.

I personally think its a bad deal. I would not go for any free laptop offer because if it were free firms would not bother selling them

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…