Can see one way not the other!

Mike Mills 18:39 28 Mar 05

Hi, have just installed BT Voyager 2100 wireless adsl modem/router. The machine (XP Home) connected wirelessly can connect to the internet and see the other machine. The machine (98SE) hard wired to the router can only access the internet!

Any advice on how to set up the 2 machine so each can see each other - my printer is connected to the 'XP' machine also, which cannot be seen by the other machine.

Thanks in anticipation of somebody much more knowledgable than myself assisting and putting an end to the last three hours of 'trying'!!!

LastChip 18:51 28 Mar 05

Make sure the XP firewall (or any other software based firewall) is disabled whilst you sort this problem. Is that the case?

Mike Mills 18:56 28 Mar 05

the XP firewall is off!!

LastChip 19:13 28 Mar 05

Is file and printer sharing loaded on the XP machine and do you have at least one drive or file set to be shared?

Further, are both machines on the same Workgroup as their original defaults are different and has each computer got a different name?

Mike Mills 19:21 28 Mar 05

yes - the two machines used to see each other when they were connected (hard wired) thorugh a hub, with the XP machine directly connected to the internet and the 98SE machine connecting through the XP machine. Now moved house and puchased the wireless router/modem as do not want the cables running through the house.

LastChip 19:27 28 Mar 05

How is each machine obtaining its IP address?

Is it dynamically set via the router or have you specified fixed addresses?

Mike Mills 19:32 28 Mar 05

I believe through the router, as I have not set anything up and checking the 'properties' tab of the TCP/IP section under Network connection properties shows - "obtain an IP adress automatically"

daz246 19:57 28 Mar 05

Mike, I am having exactly the same problem. I have also the BT voyager and have my PC wired to the modem/router and then a wireless card in my Laptop. On some occasions I can see both machines on each but cannot connect to them. I can also ping from my PC to laptop but not the reverse. If you find a solution I would very much like to hear how. Have you tried the Voyager (50p min) phone help line?

cheers
darren

Mike Mills 20:01 28 Mar 05

I havn't tried the helpline - however reading through other threads i have found i can 'ping each machine from the other - but still cannot 'see' the xp machine from the 98Se machine to share files etc!!! what a lovely way to spend Easter!!!

daz246 20:10 28 Mar 05

I've just tried turning off all my firewalls, Windows, AV and Nortons and I can now connect to each but I'm concerned that I'm now vunerable how can I set up each machine to only allow sharing of files?

daz246 20:33 28 Mar 05

Mike, have you got Zone Alarm? as I turned of my XP and Zone Alarm firewalls and everything worked. I've now turned back on the XP firewalls and again it still works ok. If you have Zone Alarm you need to enter in the ip address of the computer you are trying to access in the Trusted Sites tab. To obtain your ip address, run then cmd, then type ipconfig.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…