Can receive, but can't send on Freeserve email

Bargee 20:16 20 May 04

Hiya,

I'm very frustrated with this one. I recently aquired multi-user broadband through Cobweb Solutions as a Federation of Small Businesses member. At first all was ok with my personal Freeserve email accounts, but now I can't send on any of them. I can still receive mail ok.

I've looked in all the obvious places for a configuration problem, but nothing seems to have changed from when I set them up initially.

Could Freeserve be blocking me now that I no longer use them as my ISP, or has there been a change that I've missed since Freeserve became Wannado?

cheers.

Eric10 20:23 20 May 04

The pop3 server for your Freeserve account stays the same but the smtp server should be that of your broadband provider.

TBH1 21:42 20 May 04

I presume you are no longer with freeserve / wanadoo ??? If thats the case I don't think you will be able to send from your freeserve account; you can collect email from all accounts but the only one you can send from, usually, is the account supplied by you isp.

I would agree with TBH1, if Freeserve is no longer your provider then they won't allow you to send mail using their mail servers.

Jeff Underwood 07:55 21 May 04

I use Outlook Express and had a similar problem, went away with the following.

Go to Tools / Accounts / Internet Accounts / Mail/ Properties and then Servers tab.

Untick the box 'My server requires authentication'. Worked for me.

spanneress 09:00 21 May 04

TBH1 is correct. You can reply to the received freeserve mail but it will have to be sent from your new ISP address. The only way to send mail from your freeserve account is to log onto their web mail anmd use it the traditional way, that is assuming you still have e-mail access now that you no longer have them as your ISP.

HTH

Bargee 19:24 26 May 04

Contacted my ISP & managed to get their work around up & running (my error of course!).

I can now send & receive on my Freeserve accounts.

For anyone else switching from Freeserve/Wannado to broadband from a different ISP who wants to keep their old mail accounts, I suggest contacting their new ISP support as they may have a similar solution.

Cheers all

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…