Can previous Symantec stop internet access

Field Division 17:34 05 Aug 09

I formated my laptop HDD and reinstalled XP, Im using a Buffalo wireless usb key, If I get windows to manage the connengction I get signal strength good and connected to BT 2.0 HUB but no internet, I have spent hrs trying to resolve, Network cable isnt an option, I have input open DNS server addresses and also copied all settings that I have on main laptop, Tried pinging google but error type correct address or comand comes up, realeasing the IP addy and renewing has been tried, I have heard of a tool you can run that will delete previous versions or files of norton that may be left on hard drive even after a format, can anyone advise me if there is,

Technotiger 17:41 05 Aug 09

Install this click here then if you can see Norton mentioned in the list, which opens up very much the same as Add&Remove Programs in XP, you can run the un-install to clear it.

If you get that far, follow these instructions ...

During the un-install process you may be asked if you want to re-start your computer, DO NOT re-start at this point, let Revo continue. You will eventually get the option to Select All and to Delete - DO SO. You will be given the same options a second time, again DO SO, do not be picky, just accept all that Revo chooses.
After clicking on Finish, re-start your computer.

Field Division 17:58 05 Aug 09

Thanks Technotiger but it appears there are no left overs from Norton, installed firefox tosee if that works

Field Division 18:38 05 Aug 09

Nope no luck with that either, uninstalled the buffalo s/w and let windows manage again ant signal picked up right away but still nothing, sigal strength sits at excellent, repaired but fails renewing ip address (limited or no connectivity), so enter the same thats on other laptop including subnet mask and then im back at the start again with good signal but not I.E pages
Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : bp1-2fez742qndw4
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : BUFFALO WLI-U2-KG54L Wireless LAN Ad
apter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1D-73-5C-3D-A5
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.30.118
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 208.67.220.220

Field Division 10:28 06 Aug 09

Maybe Im missing something from the above set-up going to try when I get home and run this click here

T I M B O 10:32 06 Aug 09

To remove Nortons, you need the nortons removal tool >> click here

Ashrich 11:33 06 Aug 09

Try resetting the Winsock instead , open a command prompt ( in Vista start/programs/accessories/command prompt , right click and select " run as administrator" )

Type in without quote marks ...

" netsh winsock reset catalog " then press enter , it will tell you that you need to reboot , type in " exit " and press enter , do that again , to leave the command prompt and reboot , then try connecting again .

Ashley

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…