Can a Poor BT Line freeze pc when online via 56K ?

Giggle n' Bits 13:30 03 Mar 04

Is it possible for a 56K PCI Modem connected to Freeserve Pay as you go (No Ties) service and a fault with the phone line cause the following problems:-

The computer freezes intermitantly on line
Some webpages won't load and time out
Disconnection from web.

Ok I know 56K is and can be slow but the freezing bit, if the BT line drops its data signal into the modem while online could this be possbile.

The line has number witheld and so 1470 is put into the front of the connection number.

MichelleC 14:48 03 Mar 04

If bt line was faulty it would cut off connection. The freezing etc is a few possibles; modem driver needs reinstalling, isp has server probs (Freeserve have different numbers if experiencing probs), or browser needs repairing.

JIM 14:53 03 Mar 04

worth checking some tips from link.

click here;en-gb;835574&Product=w98

JIM 14:56 03 Mar 04

copy/paste,close up the space

http://

support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-gb;835574&Product=w98

roygbiv 16:41 03 Mar 04

In my experience, BT had a line sharing device (DACS box) on the line, Had to complain to BT faults numerous times before they would remove it, when they did my connection speed increased and i no longer got dropped conections or had trouble connecting.

Also i found 1571, dosent help. Alan

spuds 17:16 03 Mar 04

Found that the DACS box can cause disconnections, but not freezing.Contact BT and ask for a service report, if you think there is a problem with your line connection.

Giggle n' Bits 22:27 03 Mar 04

Also for Freeserve No Ties (Pay as you go) apart from the connection no. 1470 0845 079 6699 does any use a different Pay as you go number for the Freeserve no ties please.

Interesting feedback.

Erh how do you repiar Ie6 in XP as it doesn't have an entry in Add/remove like older o's to repair it.

MichelleC 08:46 04 Mar 04

One of the ways to repair xp's ie is to run sfc /scannow.

JIM 08:51 04 Mar 04

repair IE6 in XP if no joy with sfc check.

click here

DACS = Digital/Analogue Conversion System, used to share one pair of wires from the exchange to two customers.

Dial 151/1/1 to test your line, use other options to speak to a BT advisor. They should tell you if your line has a DACS, if it has they are now obliged to remove it.

Giggle n' Bits 12:41 04 Mar 04

All interesting stuff here, looks like a few phone calls are in order, I will leave open and return when I get some more info.

Thanks everyone.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…