Can pc send music to hifi on broadband cable?

Batty66 19:45 11 Jan 04

I would like to send music from my pc to my hifi, which is in a separate room separate room.

I've been considering wireless transmission. However, I already have an ethernet (I think) cable from my ntl set-top box (next to my hifi) supplying broadband to my pc.

Does anyone know if I can utilise this connection to route music back the other way? Seems a shame if I can't.

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:54 11 Jan 04

click here although they are cable here

wireless half way here

or loads here

Depends on the type of cable. If it is co-axial, like a TV aerial, then no. If it is twisted pairs, and there is an unused pair, maybe.

You would need to connect to the spare pair at both ends, and send to the hi-fi at line level, ie. not amplified, or cross talk may cause the broadband link to fail.

DieSse 20:25 11 Jan 04

"Does anyone know if I can utilise this connection to route music back the other way?"

No you can't - don't even think of trying - there are not enough wires (you would need two twisted pairs) - and the crosstalk implications are horrendous.

Use a proper shielded audio cable, which should give you a reasonable feed up to about 10m - more and you would probably start to notice a signal degredation.

Indigo 1 20:30 11 Jan 04

What about IEE1394 Firewire ?

obbit 20:47 11 Jan 04

what everyone is saying is you need an audio cable, which is screened and has the correct plugs on, from your sound card to the auxillary input on your hi-fi. if you haven't got an auxillary input on your hi-fi then you are struggling.

obbit 20:51 11 Jan 04

i can send music to and receive music from my hi-fi, (well stereo) with one double lead, i just swap from auxillary input on the stereo to the earphone socket on the stereo and from output on sound card to line-in on sound card.

Irishman 21:05 11 Jan 04

If you haven't got spare phono jacks on your hi fi you can get double adaptors to allow two pieces of equipment to be plugged into the one set of sockets. I got these from Maplin a few years ago.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 Plus review: better cameras and waterproofing make this the best iPhone yet

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple to launch new Macs and MacBook Pros at an event on October 27

iPhone vs Android | iOS vs Android: 5 reasons why Apple's iPhones beat Google Android smartphones ()…