Can pc re-boots really solve a problem or ...

albu 11:54 17 Aug 04

Can pc re-boots really solve a problem or can there still be an underlying Issue?

I started my pc and it seemed sluggish, AOL 9 failed to load properly or close properly, control panel wouldn't operate correctly and my CPU usage was at 100%. I re-booted and all was fine again.

Using XP Home, 368 Ram (16 Ram used by graphics) and 1700+ AMD CPU.

ANY THOUGHTS?

Scillonia 12:15 17 Aug 04

Yes, reboots can often solve one off problems, and is normally the first request of most help desks. Get the PC to a start config.

woodchip 12:15 17 Aug 04

sometime the cpu gets lost and it's the only way

Chegs ® 13:38 17 Aug 04

XP has backups of its own system files,if the "main" one gets damaged a reboot will allow XP to replace the damaged file.Occasionally,the backup is also damaged,requiring a bit of TLC from the user(sfc /scannow,Recovery Console,Repair,etc)This it does even if System Restore is switched off,as there are other files created to enable the OS to do this(registry has sfcdisable/and there is sfc_os.dll)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…