can pasting addresses defeat keyloggers?

panhandle 00:30 26 Sep 06

This is either a dead obvious or a dead naive question - so here goes anyway. All the advice is never to follow links from unknown sources, nor for example to get your bank address from search engines - but to key it yourself.
This does not avoid the risk of being keylogged.

Rather than keying, why not paste the addresses from a word document stored on my PC - and then pasting the password? Does this not provide a greater degree of security? It certainly works. Or to advance on that, set up macros?

I have certainly never read anything along those lines, so have I had my head buried in the sand? I'd be interested to know.
Thanks.

DieSse 00:40 26 Sep 06

*why not paste the addresses from a word document stored on my PC - and then pasting the password?*

That simply exposes you to a different risk - that rogue software will read the information from the stored document.

Really all you need is a proper, quality, AV - a good firewall - anti-spyware (such as Spybot, using the immunisation feature) - and maybe a long-stop such as Novatrix Cyberhawk.

And install all the Windows critical updates..

Also the MacAfee Site Advisor helps you stay away from dodgy sites in the first place.

panhandle 00:45 26 Sep 06

Understood and you are quite right. The passwords document could be on a memory stick - in and out?

gudgulf 10:23 26 Sep 06

"The passwords document could be on a memory stick - in and out?"

At some stage the address and passwords will have to have been typed into the pc in order to create the stored document......and that could have been logged!

As DieSse says.....proper protection with antimalware and common sense are the best ways to deal with this threat.

Bogbrain 16:39 27 Sep 06

Simply download a free anti keylogger programme anyway along with all your other anti stuff.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac