Can Outlook account be "shared" across two PC's

frustrated_user 11:05 19 Mar 09

Well, laptops to be precise

Running Outlook 2007 on existing laptop, and about to start using it on new laptop

What I'm thinking is there any way to "link" my two accounts in order that I don't end up with some emails on one machine and some on the other?

(or is the only way to choose to leave a copy of the message on the server for a short time? Although would this mean that if I hit "recieve" and there were 10 emails, I'd get these in Outlook and then if I hit it again, I'd get them again etc...?)

lotvic 12:36 19 Mar 09

Leave a copy on the server if you want to collect the same emails on 2 different pc's.

When you collect an email in Outlook (or any other mail prog on your pc) Outlook on your pc marks the collected email as - collected - so it won't collect it again.

If you then configure a different pc with a mail program (Outlook or whatever) and collect your email you will get a copy of all the emails on the Server that the different Outlook hasn't already downloaded and marked as collected.

frustrated_user 12:45 19 Mar 09

That sounds like exactly what I need!

Do I need to set a "time out" so emails will be deleted from server after a certain period, to avoid them backing up?

lotvic 20:09 19 Mar 09

Yes if you want to, I have one of mine set to 6 months on the Server before deletion.

It depends on the volume of emails and size MB that you are allowed in your mailbox on the Server.
If it gets full then your mailbox on the server won't be able to accept more emails

Now and again I login on the Webmail and sort out which I want it to keep and I delete from the Webmail Server any I don't want so that there is plenty of room for new emails to be accepted.

Rockarch 20:48 19 Mar 09

The other approach is to get an Outlook exchange account so that you will always have the same emails on both pcs, and get the latest on whichever one you are using.

I use it on about 4 different pcs & a pda and its great - well worth the £5 a month it costs.

frustrated_user 15:32 20 Mar 09

This seemed to be working, but now it's not :-(

Every time I log on, I'm getting all the emails that are still on the server downloaded again...

Lotvic said:-

"When you collect an email in Outlook (or any other mail prog on your pc) Outlook on your pc marks the collected email as - collected - so it won't collect it again"

It seems it's not doing this? Can I force it to somehow?

Woolwell 17:10 20 Mar 09

The other way to do this is to use an IMAP account instead of a POP account. It can be done with Google mail.

frustrated_user 17:30 20 Mar 09

That sounds complicated!

I'd rather keep it simple if possible!

Woolwell 18:19 20 Mar 09

IMAP isn't really that complicated and is a good way of having the same e-mails on more than one system click here

I have IMAP with my own domain and have the same e-mails at work, on my desktop, on my mobile and can have it on a laptop. The problem arises over sent e-mails in that I cannot see what has been sent from another system. But someone will probably tell me how to do that (blind copy to myself works).

lotvic 19:12 20 Mar 09

This may explain why you are having the problem of emails being downloaded again (support.microsoft.com) click here
"Leave a copy of messages on the server and the Remove from server when deleted from Deleted Items options enabled"

frustrated_user 09:56 21 Mar 09

Reading the MS support item (thanks Lotvic):-

Does this mean that if you download a message, but then don't delete it (ie, leave it in your Inbox) it'll continue to download each time you send/receive?

(or to put it another way, the only way to stop multiple downloads is to delete the message?)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced