//some 3rd party need geo

can a OS disc be used

adamagain 19:49 09 Jul 05

I just need to know can a OS disc be used on another machine if i dont use it on the origanal computer.
decided not to use the XP pro Os when i got the new computer but want to use the OS disc on another machine.
This other machine is not a dell wich the Xp OS was intended to be used on so will it work anyway
Thanks

Fingees 20:19 09 Jul 05

Yes should work OK, No problem.Providing you have the key code ok. and you will have to activsate it as usual wwhen installed.

All the best.

interzone55 21:25 09 Jul 05

Do Dell come with an OS disk?

I thought they used a restore partition, the CD you have is probably just a restore CD that contains a copy of norton ghost to wipe the main partition and bring the OS back from the hidden restore partition.

Completealias 21:31 09 Jul 05

The dell desktop that we have came with a o/s disk (xp home) and didn't need activation once it had been installed.

Should work just fine

Buchan 35 22:03 09 Jul 05

With this one the only answer I`d trust is "woodchips." If he comes on this thread then listen to him

DieSse 00:28 10 Jul 05

Dell supplies OEM copies of XP, under a license which does not permit you to transfer it to another system.

GRFT 08:57 10 Jul 05

I understand that the XP disc supplied with a Dell PC can indeed be used on another machine but you'll be confronted with the Dell logo screen everytime you boot up. Somebody out there must have tried this.

spuds 10:54 10 Jul 05

It can be used, but you will be reminded that it was supplied by Dell.

Pooke 10:59 10 Jul 05

OEM cannot be transferred to a new machine. Retail versions can be moved as long as it's only ever on one computer at a time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…