Can Open Doc then Nothing for 30 Seconds

The Potter 23:14 10 Mar 09

I don't think I want an answer to how to fix this but I do wonder if it is something that is a well known problem. I'm also sorry if it isn't a network issue but it did start after a change to the server my documents reside on.

About 40 pcs docs were on one server. The IT folk then moved around 20 pcs docs to another server and installed MS exchange for our emails (I think all that is on a different server and only mention it incase...).

Since this happened myself and about 3 others whose docs have stayed on the original server have experienced the same problems:

The time from entering our login password until we can actually click on our document folders takes around 8 minutes. We can open documents with no problem but then we can't do anything with them for 30 seconds or so. In this time, if you get the task manager up it shows that word (for example) is not responding.

The IT folk took over my PC for over 7 hours today to try to resolve this and were still working on it when I left work so I won't know until tomorrow if it has been fixed. It's taken them a week to get this far (maybe becuase of more pressing issues) but don't the symptoms lead to some very clear paths to follow in trying to resolve it? I went to another site whilst they were workig on it but when I returned to eat my lunch they were just about to start defraging it! This stunned me, the pc has 2gb memory and nothing but programs etc on the hard drive of some 90gb!

Surely there must be some standard things to check and defraging a networked pc with 2gb memory/90gb hard drive is not one of them?

A confused TP

Tech Guy 10:59 11 Mar 09

You are certainly right about the defrag, will have nothing to do with it - I call it grasping at straws.

More than likely a problem with DNS.

The Potter 01:09 12 Mar 09

Thanks Tech Guy,

Needless to say they haven't fixed it and have create a strange temporary fix which means we can open our docs and work on them immediately but we can't print them on our local printer .......

Oh well, at least I'm not paying their bill!

TP

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac