Can only stay connected to internet for 3 seconds

larios 16:46 15 Apr 03

Hi, I have a notebook computer with me here in Spain which I brought from the UK. I have on the computer a dial up connection to Freeserve and have installed a new one for a local ISP. I can get connected and my username and password are OK'd and I am connected, but after 3-4 seconds each time I am disconnected again. I have spoken to the local ISP who say that maybe it's because their server is so busy, which I don't buy as I have had this problem for a month now and have been trying to connect at all times of the day and night.

Can anyone help? I'm not sure if the problem is in th emodem or in the fact that the Freeserve account is there which possible has taken over IE and it's settings, not allowing access through another ISP?

I have had my configuration for th enew ISP checked out and it's perfect.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Paranoid Android 17:35 15 Apr 03

Is it a V92 modem ? If so you could try putting +MS=V90 in the modem initialisation string in case your ISP doesn't support it.

Just a thought.

Marvin

AP22 17:48 15 Apr 03

Are you accessing your mailbox? If so this can happen if your settings for your mail are telling your machine to disconnect when mail has been checked and/or downloaded.

larios 17:49 15 Apr 03

No, it's a V90

Thanks anyway - still stumped

larios 17:52 15 Apr 03

no, I realise that about the mail - this is just on the intial connection, before I even get a chance to select my browser OR mail programme.

larios 09:16 20 Apr 03

Just for the record, I ended up re-formatting the drive and reinstalling all the software again and Bingo!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…