Can only start in safe mode

dagbladet 15:49 02 Dec 03

I have been struggling with a cd-romdrive that refuses to work. click here

In summary P II 233, win 98.
CD-drive opens/closes, green light flashes, but doesn't recognise that disc is in.
I have borrowed an old machine to use as a test bed. I have established beyond any doubt that my cd drive (Creative) and the test machine cd drive (Samsung) both work correctly with both ribbon cables on the test machine but refuse to work on mine.
I tried a possible fix, whereby i went into device manager and removed the drive, then re-booted. The boot-up went normally until it got to the wallpaper stage then stopped, no desktop icons and no bottom taskbar. It starts in safe-mode but I cant seem to rectify anything so it starts normally. Any ideas please ?

sil_ver 16:20 02 Dec 03

Have you tried rebooting with the CD drive disconnected?

woodchip 16:27 02 Dec 03

Put your Win98 disc in comp, Start comp and check to see if CD is first boot device in BIOS then start with Win98 disc in comp if it reads it let it reinstall Win98 You will also know then if your CD drive is working

dagbladet 16:34 02 Dec 03

trying both thanks for hanging in there everyone. I'll be off for a while. Here's hoping.

dagbladet 19:32 02 Dec 03

Sil-ver, nice one after disconnecting the drive i'm now back on normal mode. Still got no cd-rom drive though. I've been reading some stuff about firmware, is it the same as drivers.

dagbladet 19:35 02 Dec 03

woodchip, that programme just seemed to list the files on a CD. Did I do it wrong ?

sil_ver 19:44 02 Dec 03

Firmware is not the same as a driver but is an update to the CD-ROM usually adding more options like maybe Overburn. The driver is embedded in Windows and or the mobo chipset drivers

dagbladet 22:08 02 Dec 03

yyyyyyyesssssssss

Thank you to everybody who took the time to offer their advice. The solution is perhaps as diificult to pin down as the original problem.
By disconnecting the drive completly I was able to re-boot in normal mode, then I went into the registry (for the first time ever) and removed all traces of the CD rom drive. At this stage I was following a step-by-step guide from a Samsung troubleshooting FAQ. I can't post a link because I arrived at the site via about 8 links. Then I Activated a couple of .exe files from the web (another 6-7 links), one was firmware (which I didn't know existed) and the other was a driver. The driver was for a drive with a very similar, though not exactly the same, designation to my Samsung drive. Next I re-connected the rogue drive and re-booted with the Win98 disc inside. I think at this stage I got a choice of starting from HDD or CD-rom, and suddenly there was a glorious sound I've not heard for a while... the Cd drive spun into life!!! I continued with a full installation of 98, accepting I was going to lose everything else, but, when it was complete, all my old stuff is still on there!?!? Anyway I don't pretend to fully understand what was wrong or how i, sorry, we, fixed it, but a great big thanks again to all on the board.

woodchip 22:12 02 Dec 03

Not tried the Program as it was on a CD I could only see what the Name was, It is obviously misleading as I thought it was a Drive Diagnostics Program I will look some more. One other thing Have you tried a new cable and have you got it the right way round, i.e. red tracer to number one pin on motherboard, end plug to DVD red tracer wire toward power plug. CDRW on middle plug red wire toward power plug.

woodchip 22:12 02 Dec 03

PS set DVD to master CDRW to slave

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…