Can one stop auto-dial ups in Outlook Express 5.5?

canute44 22:42 31 Dec 03

How can one prevent incoming e-mails with hyperlinks in them from auto dialing those links? Obviously one can simply click on cancel or close but can the process be stopped at source?

Stuartli 09:18 01 Jan 04

Sounds as though you need to run a spybot utility such as AdAware6 or Search and Destroy 1.2.

Also try Tools>Options>Programs and Resetting Web Pages button - but this is a long shot...

howard60 09:22 01 Jan 04

in tools options there should be a box marked never dial a connection put a tick in it.

canute44 11:07 01 Jan 04

Many thanks. I had hoped that there was an option to retain normal dialling but to deactivate the instant dial up when receiving mail from companies with web pages.

howard60 12:05 01 Jan 04

that only stops automatic dial ups not when you wish to go online it brings up the connect now box.

Stuartli 13:09 01 Jan 04

In the Connection box the one to enable is "Always dial my default connection" i.e your ISP or whatever is chosen as your "home" page.

Big Elf 13:19 01 Jan 04

Also disable the 'Preview pane'.

canute44 17:21 01 Jan 04

Thanks again for your replies. Default connection is already set and does not affect the auto connection to the webpages (these are reached by going through my ISP). Removing the preview pane does the trick!

Stuartli 09:43 02 Jan 04

The preview pane should be permanently disabled in any case - it's the open door for unwanted nasties to get into yokur system...:-(

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…