Can Office/Word open Works files?

hawthorn59 14:48 07 May 08

I have MS Works 9, I notice by default it saves docs in Works format. I also know I can change that to save as word97-2003. A couple of questions:

Can I get it to save to this format by default, rather than having to change it every time?

If I leave it as saving in Works format, can Office/Word open it anyway?

thanks

h

Pineman100 15:45 07 May 08

Word will open a Works word-processor file, so long as, in the Open dialogue window, you change the Files of Type field to "All files". If you leave it at the default "Word files" it may not see your Works file.

ambra4 17:22 07 May 08

You can Download the Works 6.0 converter to Microsoft Word 2000, Word 97, and

previous versions of Word to read documents created in Works

click here

hawthorn59 18:36 07 May 08

No its just Im more worried that if i forget to save my doc in Word 97-2003 format, and I send it to someone, their Word mightnt open it.

If i could only get Works 9 to automatically save every document I create in Word 97-2003 format.

h

Birdman2000 20:19 19 Jul 08

I have the exact same issue. I usually accidentally leave the format in Works format. Then, when I sent the file to others, they are unable to open the file using Word. Does anyone know how to change the default "Save As" type to Word when saving a document in Works?

Thanks!

jaritch 21:32 19 Jul 08

You cannot change the default setting. You will just have to remember to save it as a .doc or rtf.

Pineman100 17:48 22 Jul 08

As I said above, if anyone finds that they can't open a Works document in Word, tell them that, in the Open dialogue window, they should change the Files of Type field to "All files".

That should enable the file to be opened.

Pineman100 14:58 26 Jul 08

If you regard this thread as finished, please tick and click Resolved at the bottom.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…