Can Office be detected by Windows Update?

Gaz W 23:10 23 Sep 03

I know that you can only use Windows Update with a genuine copy of Windows XP (Professional in my case). If I installed a pirate copy of Office XP on the XP Pro machine, would it be detected by Windows Update and stop me downloading updates, or would I be safe to install it. Since the new office is coming out soon there is no point in paying for XP when it is likely that I will be getting the new one.

This is in no way trying to promote software piracy, and I do not intend this thread to turn into another copyright debate; I just need to know whether it wouldn't stop me downloading updates for Windows.

graham√ 23:12 23 Sep 03

Office has just finished on Sky, anyway.

tbh72 23:13 23 Sep 03

Better to be safe than sorry, just install you original office suite, eg 97 or 2000. I assume you have a legal version of one of those?

MAJ 23:14 23 Sep 03

You should know better than to start the thread, Gaz.

Djohn 23:14 23 Sep 03

Yes it can be detected, that's if you can install in the first place. A legal copy of XP operating system will scan all Microsoft programs for files as you attempt to install them. j.

alan 2273 23:21 23 Sep 03

It will not stop you dowloading updates

leo49 23:33 23 Sep 03

"I know that you can only use Windows Update with a genuine copy of Windows XP"

That is certainly not the case. Windows Update works as normal.

Gaz W 23:59 23 Sep 03

Sorry - what I meant to say was that it's the service packs I'm worried about, and not the normal updates. I believe that with a pirated version of XP you can't download the service packs.

I only started this thread because I need an office suite on this PC, and I haven't bought one for this machine. I was under the impression that all Microsoft software, like Windows, can only be purchased and installed on one PC because that is all it is licensed for (without going into all the other licensing options). What I wanted to know was, would I be able to install a copy of Office that has been installed on several other PCs (and is actually a copied version) TEMPORARILY until I can get one that's genuine, i.e. the new one? It seemed pointless spending money on one that is soon to be replaced.

It looks like the best option is to buy Office after all.

Gaz W 00:00 24 Sep 03

I think it's time for the green tick...

Thanks for all your information,

Gaz

Djohn 00:04 24 Sep 03

I think the new Office is released next week, if you can hold back until then. j.

shortcircuit 00:27 24 Sep 03

Gaz. It will copy over and you would not have any problems with people in jack boots knocking at your door.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…