can not start my win 98 pc

Teddington 21:05 20 Oct 03

I have just scanned my pc with some virus software and removed some viruses. All seemed fine until I tried to turn on the pc and all that came up was

non system disk error remove disk and press enter.

It will then do nothing. I had a dell diagnostics disk and it found a problem with a USB test.

I have no idea what to do now. The hard disk never seems to be accessed when the pc is booted.

sorry to be so vauge but i am having a bit of a night mare

VoG II 21:11 20 Oct 03

Do you remember the names of the viruses? Which anti-virus program did you use to remove them? What version of Windows do you have?

VoG II 21:15 20 Oct 03

Sorry, the OS is in the title.

cycoze 23:37 20 Oct 03

You havent by chance left a floppy disc or CD in one of the drives have you ? if so , remove them and try again.

try to access the bios and change the boot up order and set it to boot from the hard disk first

woodchip 23:56 20 Oct 03

Start computer with Win98 Floppy disc and at A:\> type SCANREG/RESTORE and choose the oldest date there is. It will only go back about five so it may get you going

woodchip 23:58 20 Oct 03

Your Error usually denotes you left a floppy disc in the computer when you started windows. and it's asking you to remove it

alanbon 00:48 21 Oct 03

sounds like a master boot record virus to me do you have recovery disks on floppy for your virus software

woodchip 10:11 21 Oct 03

If it's that start with floppy and type FDISK/MBR to remove a VIRUS IN BOOT

DieSse 11:10 21 Oct 03

Type FDISK /MBR - note the space.

woodchip 11:16 21 Oct 03

Space don't make no difference it still works

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…