Can not perform Disk Clean up

Sunny-275842 23:54 24 Nov 03

hi all,

ive been trying to do a disk clean up and it doesnt seem to gather the info as it say it is, it stops at 3 bars of loading then nothing happends.

why does this happend?

i have a WD Caviar Special Edition 80Gb 8Mb Cache
running XP Pro, with 768 DDR Ram

if more info is need just ask :)

thanks peeps

Lozzy 00:05 25 Nov 03

To resolve this problem, delete all the files in the current user's Temp folder, and then delete all the user's temporary Internet files. To do this, follow these steps:
Click Start, click Run, type: %temp%, and then click OK to open the Temp folder.
In the Temp folder, on the Edit menu, click Select All, press the DELETE key, and then click Yes to confirm that you want to send all the items to the Recycle Bin.
Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Internet Options.
On the General tab, click Delete Files.
Click to select the Delete all offline content check box, and then click OK.
Click Start, and then click My Computer.
Right-click the drive that you want to clean, and then click Properties.
Click Disk Cleanup to run the Disk Cleanup tool again

jimv7 08:17 25 Nov 03

Disk Cleanup Tool Stops Responding While Compressing Old Files
Applies To
IMPORTANT: This article contains information about modifying the registry. Before you modify the registry, make sure to back it up and make sure that you understand how to restore the registry if a problem occurs. For information about how to back up, restore, and edit the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
256986 Description of the Microsoft Windows Registry
SYMPTOMS
When you try to compress old files, the Disk Cleanup tool may stop responding (hang) and you receive the following message:
Disk Cleanup is calculating how much space you will be able to free on (C:).
This may take a few minutes to complete.
Scanning: Compress old files
WORKAROUND
WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.
To work around this problem, follow these steps:
1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. Type regedit in the Open box, and then press ENTER.
3. Locate, and then click the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches
4. On the File menu, click Export, and then click Desktop, type VolumeCaches in the File name box, and then click Save.

Note This step creates a backup of the VolumeCaches registry key. If you experience any problems after you complete the steps that are listed in this procedure, you can use this backup to restore the VolumeCaches key to its original state. To restore the key, double-click the VolumeCaches.reg file on your desktop, and then click Yes.
5. Expand the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Volume Caches
6. Delete the Compress old files registry key.
7. Quit Registry Editor.

Sunny-275842 15:33 25 Nov 03

right i done what you said Lozzy, and it still doesnt want to perform the Disk Clean up, it just still stops on the 3rd bar of loading, i deleted some of the other files in the History file and still noting.

and to Jimv7, i hadnt tried your way, since i dont wanna bugger up my machine, just incase i dont know what im doing as you said bout MS cannot solve the problem then creating more problem then it has.

have any idea why it still doesnt want to perform Disk Clean up?

thanks

Sunny-275842 18:35 25 Nov 03

i have followed Lozzys steps and still hasnt worked (read above for steps). i later then Deleted all the files in the History > History.IES, except for 1 folder and 1 file, there are a file called Index which cannot be deleted and another file inside the MSNHist folder named Index.

after deleting all the files in History.IES, the pages seems to load really slow and now sometimes it says "Page cannot be Display" until i hit refresh and then it loads up. i am now wondering have i deleted important files in this History.IES folder, and if i have how do i resort in getting it back to normal??

Sunny-275842 18:37 25 Nov 03

by the way, i have Broadband connection 512Kb if some are wondering i have 56k :)

VoG II 18:39 25 Nov 03

click here gives the same information as jimv7 but in a more readable format.

Sunny-275842 18:41 25 Nov 03

it doesnt display site, as i think my internet connection is buggered cus of some files i have deleted...

Sunny-275842 18:43 25 Nov 03

hmm interesting, i dont have a folder named Current Version as said in the MS site steps

Sunny-275842 18:45 25 Nov 03

ok ignore last post anybody thats following

Sunny-275842 18:48 25 Nov 03

what does it mean by step 5 on the site?!

Expand the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Volume Caches

what is it meant by EXPAND?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…