Can not install Real Player.

bellababy 11:39 04 Jan 05

When I try to install Real Player,
I get the message: (Installation failed, cannot create folder %PLUGINS%\Ext Resources.)
Can anyone help?

MichelleC 11:58 04 Jan 05

You've probably got file/s left from previous install. Type in Find Realplayer and delete files, reboot and reinstall.

Modo 12:17 04 Jan 05

You are lucky!!

Get Real Alternative Player instead. Bloat free and non invasive.

See comparison here

click here

Download

click here

JayDay 12:46 04 Jan 05

Spot on!! Wish my kids couldn't do it as well. Thanks for the link.

ACOLYTE 12:47 04 Jan 05

I had this problem with real 10 player,it would install ok but not run when i tried to start it,i installed it 3 times with the same affect,i gave up in the end.

ACOLYTE 12:49 04 Jan 05

Just looked at the link Modo,does this work with wmp 10? it says media player classic.

Modo 13:34 04 Jan 05

I'm running WMP10 and Real Alternative with no problems at all.

The Real Alternative plays all the BBC "play again" archive and plays BBC live. It also appears not to demand updates 5 minutes in to a programme. Nor does WMP mysteriously & suddenly stop playing BBC live - only reappearing with a reboot after kicking out all Real Player running c... with services.msc & msconfig

JayDay 13:38 04 Jan 05

When you download the file and install it, it will install a program called media player classic (looks like the old windows media player). It doesn't get rid of Media Player 10. It is used for RealPlayer files only.

bellababy 15:39 04 Jan 05

Modo, I have downloaded and istalled Real Alternative, but can't find programe called Media Player Clasic. Also have tried to conect to BBC Radio since the download and still as dead as a dodo.

Modo 16:22 04 Jan 05

bellababy

can you play anything else e.g. CD's or get "system sounds"?

Go to Control Panel - Sounds and Audio Devices. What is listed under the Audio tab - what is the - default device - under - audio playback?

Apolgies if I'm teaching my grandmother ...

But it sounds like either one of these programs is intefering possibly messing up your speaker drivers or your playing back on the modem!!!

bellababy 17:18 04 Jan 05

Modo. Under audio play back it is Realtec AC97 Audio

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…