Can not connect to Internet after hardrive format

SJB1 20:30 29 Jan 11

Formatted hardrive with XP disc, tried to connect to the internet with an asus IEEE802.11G LAN CARD, it says my wireless network connection is available, but when I go into network connections through control panel it says that it is unavailable. How do you connect a DELL INSPIRON 5000E LAPTOP to the orange livebox as the cable does not seem to fit.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:01 29 Jan 11

as the cable does not seem to fit

that's because it is an RJ11 port for a pone cable for the onboard modem.

doesn't appear to have an LAN connection

use the PCMCIA LAN card to connect to the live box
you will need to enter the security key printed on the base of the livebox into the wireless settings to get a connection.

SJB1 20:45 30 Jan 11

wg111v2all seems correct securety key accepted ok but will not let me connect to internet to update windows, can i just download sp3 to a disc on another computer then download to the poorly computer

bremner 21:16 30 Jan 11

If you have only got original XP or Sp1/1a then that is probably why you cannot connect. Updating should solve the problem.

Yes you can download the exe file on another machine and use a USB thumbdrive to move it to your other PC

SJB1 21:24 30 Jan 11

will try again tomorrow

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…