Can not connect to http://192.168.0.1

Hello,
Please can someone help me. Cutting a long story short - I have a netgear DG834G router and was working fine until I had to buy a new hard drive. I have tried to set it back up but to no avail and have looked a quite a few subject in here but still unable to connect. I think I just need to do something simple but as I can not even connect to the above site seems I need to change something on my laptop. Please help.
Thanking you in advance.

woodchip 19:35 29 Oct 08

Its not a site its a setup page in your router. try connecting a Ethernet cable. You will not get to the page in Wireless mode, until you have set it up with Wire

Switcher 19:53 29 Oct 08

Try 192.168.1.1

mgmcc 20:10 29 Oct 08

192.168.0.1 should be the correct IP address for a Netgear DG834G router but, if your Local Area Connection doesn't automatically get an IP address in the same Subnet (IP address range) by DHCP, then you need to configure its IP addressing manually, otherwise you won't access its configuration pages.

Open the Network Connections folder ("Start > Run" type NCPA.CPL and click OK), right click the Local Area Connection and select Properties.

For XP, highlight "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" and click the Properties button.

For Vista, highlight "Internet Protocol version 4 (TCP/IPv4)" and click the Properties button.

In the Properties sheet that opens, select "Use the following IP address" and type in"

IP address - 192.168.0.2

Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway - 192.168.0.1 (the *ROUTER'S* IP address)

DNS Server address - 192.168.0.1 (the *ROUTER'S* IP address)

To revert to automatic addressing, set *BOTH* IP and DNS back to getting their addresses automatically.

skidzy 20:13 29 Oct 08

click here is correct.

Reset the router via its Pin hole or reset button.As Woody says,connect the ethernet to setup the router.

Some tips here click here

Eric10 20:29 29 Oct 08

You say that you had to buy a new hard drive. Does that mean that you have had to reinstall Windows? If so, have you looked in Device Manager to make sure that your network card is shown and you don't a driver problem with it?

Ashrich 23:12 29 Oct 08

I agree with Eric10 , your router should still be as it was before you installed the new hard drive , unless you altered anything in it prior to the new disk . As said , check that your ethernet adapter is visible in either device manager or network connections , if not it needs the drivers installing .

Ashley

Graham. 00:22 30 Oct 08

192.168.0.1 is for Sky router.

Graham. 00:27 30 Oct 08

You will have to re-install the software from your ISP using a cable to connect the PC to the router.

mooly 12:26 30 Oct 08

I found that ( BT Hub this ) typing the address into "google" or similar doesn't work. It has to be in the address bar at the top of the screen.
That was probably obvious to everyone but me. Worth mentioning perhaps.

Thanks for all the advice have not had chance to try any out yet but will do so over the weekend and let you know how I got on.
Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5