can not access drive d ? help

Jaro 20:00 19 Jun 06

hi, a friend of mine has a problem with his hard drive. before i will try to do anythink i would like to ask you what would be the prob and how it could be resolved.

the prob is that he just can not access drive d on his hard drive. drive c with winxp instalation is ok. but every time he want to access dirve d he gets message asking him if he wants to format drive d. he ofcourse click no otherwise he would lose all his data and programs that are stored on drive d. he also can not run any programs installed on drive d.

do you think that the drive is corupted? has anybody come across with this problem?

Jaro 20:21 19 Jun 06

nobody any ideas?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:25 19 Jun 06

My computer - right click D drive - properties -tools- check the disk for errors.

woodchip 20:30 19 Jun 06

Yes the MBR Master Boot Record is corrupt. it can be repaired found by using Testdisk click here

Jaro 20:33 19 Jun 06

i will try that thank you. im going to do it tomarrow .so if some errors are found what is going to happend? will the disk error checker repear the drive on its own. can i use comand chkdsk aswell?

Jaro 20:40 19 Jun 06

thank you for that but it says that this is just for create some file that have to be send of somewhere .

woodchip 20:44 19 Jun 06

If you look on the left you will see Download, You have to download and unzip if it's ziped then put on a floppy disc. You then boot with the disc and use the program to find the Partition and correct it. I have used this and know it works, as I lost my D:\ partition after loading a windows update

Jaro 20:51 19 Jun 06

thats good i will try that tom. hope its not dificult to do. thank you woodchip and fruit bat

Jaro 20:52 19 Jun 06

just to be sure its TestDisk & PhotoRec 6.3 you want me to download isnt it ?

woodchip 20:55 19 Jun 06

Jaro 21:04 19 Jun 06

ok the content of zip file will not fit onto flopy disk as its 2.46MB so what should i copy onto a flopy disk?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…