can no longer access Facebook URL

jibberandtwitch 21:48 18 Jan 15

As of a couple of days ago, I can no longer access the facebook URL.

All other websites work just fine.

This is on a laptop used by only myself in my home, so I know that no blocks have been put in place on either the router or my laptop, and my partner is able to access the site without any problems (as am I on other devices).

I've cleared cookies, the cache, tried different browsers, I've tried accessing the URL by navigating directly to the IP (I pinged www.facebook.com and got 31.13.64.145, with timeouts for the requests, so it's managing to determine the IP just fine at least)

I also did a traceroute and I can post the results if they will help, though I'm not sure if it's safe to post such information. From it, I see that the requests go through fine until it gets to 84.116.136.30, which I gather is something to do with UPC, my internet provider.

I've even done a system restore to the date before I had the problem in case some update was causing the problem, and I can't find any evidence of viruses. I can still access the mobile version of the website (m.facebook.com) from my laptop.

I've probably tried a few other things, but that's all I can remember at the moment. The fact that nothing has changed on my set up, and the fact that my facebook works fine on other laptops on the same network is really perplexing and I really can not suss this out. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated!

jibberandtwitch 16:17 19 Jan 15

The connection has timed out

tries to load it for a while, then the timeout.

jibberandtwitch 16:20 19 Jan 15

Just to clarify, this isn't an issue with logging in, otherwise I would be asking on the facebook support pages. This is an issue accessing the website itself.

wee eddie 17:30 19 Jan 15

Google Facebook and see if you can get in that way.

If that succeeds, save the link and delete your old link

Secret-Squirrel 18:31 19 Jan 15

"(I pinged www.facebook.com and got 31.13.64.145, with timeouts for the requests,"

It may not help, but do the same on another computer that can access Facebook. Do you get the same IP address for Facebook or a different one? If it's the latter then post it here.

What happens when you use the IP address of 31.13.90.2 in your browser?

By the way, Facebook server 31.13.64.145 doesn't respond to ping requests so that explains why you got those timeouts and traceroute failed to reach its destination. I can't get to Facebook either by using that IP address in my browser.

jibberandtwitch 19:58 19 Jan 15

on my laptop, 31.13.90.2 does the same, just a timeout, but on my gf's laptop, straight to facebook. I pinged it on my laptop as well and I do get a reply.

I pinged facebook.com from her laptop and it shows 31.13.64.1 I pinged that and I get a reply on my laptop as well, but navigating to either of those IPs through the browser produces nothing.

Is it normal for 2 different computers on the same network to be routed to different IPs when navigating to the same website?

Secret-Squirrel 09:18 20 Jan 15

"Is it normal for 2 different computers on the same network to be routed to different IPs..............."

Because you're both connected to the same router/ISP but get different IP addresses for facebook.com then the most likely cause is that you're using different DNS servers.

Something that's worth trying is to manually assign different DNS servers on your laptop. Here's how to do it in Windows 7. The servers from OpenDNS would be a good choice and their addresses are 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220.

You should also check that your laptop's not set to use a proxy server by going to Control Panel -> Internet Options -> "Connections" tab -> "LAN Settings" button. Make sure that nothing in that window is ticked.

Secret-Squirrel 12:56 20 Jan 15

" DESELECT/SELECT THE "AUTOMATICALLY DETECT SETTINGS" CHECKBOX."

I gave instructions about this three hours ago and advised that that option should not be selected. In fact, nothing in that options section should be selected.

"CLICK AUTO-DETECT PROXY SETTINGS FOR THIS NETWORK."

For Firefox, the correct option is "No Proxy".

What makes you think that the original poster wants to use a proxy server? It's possible that his connection is using one and that's the cause of his problems.

jibberandtwitch 18:56 20 Jan 15

set the DNS to the one you suggested Secret-Squirrel, but no difference. IP config confirms that it's using the DNS, so I know I set it up correctly, though it's still trying to connect to the same IP for facebook.

I don't use any proxies, and the settings are set to 'no proxy'. Everything in the LAN settings section is unticked.

Secret-Squirrel 20:21 20 Jan 15

Sorry to hear that nothing's helped.

Are you using an Internet security package on that laptop such as Norton, Kaspersky, or similar? If you are then there'll be an option to temporarily disable it for testing purposes. Or, reboot into "Safe Mode with Networking". Your usual running programs won't be active in that mode so if you can then access Facebook you know that there's something running on your laptop that's interfering with access to that site.

Another thought is to check the Windows Hosts file - see here for Windows 7 instructions. If you find any Facebook entries, delete them, save the changes, then reboot.

I'll check this thread again in the morning.

Secret-Squirrel 20:24 20 Jan 15

.............I forgot to mention above, I appreciate that you've said that "All other websites work just fine" but have you confirmed that you can access other secure (HTTPS) websites OK?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017