Can my pc handle a dvd re- writer ?

Shanklemeister 16:08 14 Apr 05

Ive only got a a Pentium 2 with 128 mb ram, running 98se, thinking of adding a dvd writer, can my pc handle it ?

p.s. dont need it to watch films just copy dvd`s and cd`s.

cheers.

Yoda Knight 16:15 14 Apr 05

If it does manage to copy dvds its going to be very slow and unstable - I wouldnt advise it.

Chegs ® 16:19 14 Apr 05

Yes it will,but you might have troubles with burning,as you only have 128MB RAM.There are a few other areas you might get trouble with also,FAT32 has a filesize issue(4Gb I believe)98se isn't the most stable of OS's(RAM again)and rendering a DVD could take a very long time(thus memory management in 98se could be problematic)

There are ways around these probs(keep filesizes below the limits of FAT32)increase the quantity of RAM(not forgetting that 98se can only use 512/768 depending on where your reading)and shutting down all other apps before you start.

SEASHANTY 16:20 14 Apr 05

Min spec for this HP DVD-RW is a PIII 600 Mhz
click here

pj123 16:39 14 Apr 05

Forget it mate. I have one in my computer but to transfer a 3 hour video tape takes about 7 hours.

I have now bought a standalone DVD recorder connected to my TV which works in real time. A three hour tape takes 3 hours to transfer to DVD.

I have the Liteon but click here for more up to date info.

click here

Shanklemeister 19:46 14 Apr 05

cheers guys thought it would be too much, new pc soon I think.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…