can mp3's carry viruses

MaffPink 11:39 02 Feb 03

I am getting a new pc soon and i want to transfer mp3 files from my old computer to my new one. My old computer most probably has loads of viruses on it due to downloading loads of freeware programs etc. As i want my new computer to be virus free, i need to know if mp3 files can carry viruses, i think they probably can but i need reasurance.

Oh, and i will get a virus protection program for my new comp.

thanks

Djohn 11:48 02 Feb 03

A good idea will be to obtain an anti-virus program now, and install it on your present PC, check all programs/files, and then you will feel at ease in copying/transfering to new PC.

Peverelli 12:07 02 Feb 03

... and you can download AVG free from click here

Joe McG 12:22 02 Feb 03

agree with Djohn, get a decent a/v, and check system.
I have never heard of a virus picked up through an mp3 file.

MaffPink 12:28 02 Feb 03

I know i should do what Djohn says, but i just rinsed my bank account out with my comp costing £1780 so i'm looking to save money at the moment. Is AVG any good?

Thanks for the advice

Joe McG 12:34 02 Feb 03

MaffPink, AVG is one of the best.

-pops- 12:58 02 Feb 03

Some machine you've got there for that amount of money!!!

Regarding your question about MP3s - if they can't today, they probably will tomorrow. You can't be too careful.

Get AVG - it's good!

Brian

Djohn 13:06 02 Feb 03

MaffPink, yes AVG is a good anti-virus, and many people in this forum use it, It's free as a download or from the cover disk of the Magazine very easy to set up and runs in the background using very little resources.

Download from Peverelli's link, wont take long, and because you have not had any protection previously, then choose the option of making a recovery disk on a floppy. Then if AVG picks up any problems, you will be able to boot into DOS insert the floppy and clean your system.

MaffPink 13:20 02 Feb 03

Yes pops my machine will be a monster, i need it for video editing at uni. I now have AVG, just cleaned my system and found and healed 2 viruses. The best freeware product i have ever downloaded and its saved me from spending £30 on Norton.

Thanks for everyones help

Peverelli 14:07 02 Feb 03

Don't forget to update at least once a week.

-pops- 14:11 02 Feb 03

Don't forget a firewall and anti-spyware.

These are always being mentioned here and a quick look round will show you which are favoured. Again, no need to lay out a single penny!!

Brian

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now