Can a monitor affect the speed of a computer?

MeganRees 20:26 01 Jan 15

Hi there,

I have been gifted a brand new Packard Bell desktop computer running windows 8.1 for Christmas however it is running very slowly; much slower than my 5 year old laptop. I have not downloaded anything that could cause malware or viruses and i have defraged it. I am however using a old wharfdale TV as a monitor so was wondering if that could be the cause of slowness, as if it can't keep up?

Thanks for any help Megan

BillSers 04:24 02 Jan 15

I can't answer properly, but I've had Wharfdale products years ago and never ever again.

mole1944 05:05 02 Jan 15

I know it sounds obvious but have you tried a proper monitor or even another tv.You could also try glary utilities its like ccleaner but cleans up more crud click here

wee eddie 08:01 02 Jan 15

Adding to what Mole has said. That I didn't say when you first Posted the Thread.

A TV is not the same as a Monitor, although it may look similar, there are several differences.

Try a proper PC Monitor.

robintheumpteenth 09:18 02 Jan 15

The only way a display device could slow a computer down is if it is Autodetected with high-resolution and colour depth settings (demanding more processing).

Try adjusting screen resolution, but I doubt it is the cause of your problem.

More likely Unwanted programs running in the background. Try uninstalling anything you don't want.

spuds 09:55 02 Jan 15

"I have been gifted a brand new Packard Bell desktop computer running windows 8.1"

And I think there might lie the problem, because I have a new computer with W8.1 pre-installed, and it came with unwanted programs working in the background.

If the desktop is brand new, then like already been suggested. Look around for a new monitor, there's plenty out there now, at rather good prices. Check the warranty periods though, they might be longer or shorter, depending where purchased from.

alanrwood 10:25 02 Jan 15

The computer will not be slowed by whatever display is connected to it. It is probably too many background programs running automatically.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now