Can links be made to open in a new tab?

ade.h 16:45 14 Sep 05

When adding an external link to a webpage, it's easy enough to get it to open in a new window, with the TARGET="_blank" bit.

Is it possible to add a value to the HTML that allows it to open in a new tab in compatible browsers like Opera and Firefox?

I've seen this done, so I can appreciate that it may well be impossible, but thought I should ask anyway.

ade.h 16:46 14 Sep 05

Sorry, I meant "I've NEVER seen this done". Doh

PurplePenny 20:34 14 Sep 05

It can't be done by any specific code that says "open in new tab" but it will open in a new tab rather than a new window in Opera and Firefox anyway.

ade.h 23:18 14 Sep 05

I normally use Firefox and find that the "blank" value always results in a new window rather than a new tab. This happens regardless of the site, so I assumed it to be standard behaviour for Firefox. There isn't anything in the tabbed browsing settings that might relate to this behaviour, as far as I can tell. Maybe I'm missing something in the browser settings.

Anyway, thanks very much for your reply. You've succeeded in answering my initial question.

PurplePenny 23:48 14 Sep 05

That's odd. I've got the Tabbed Browsing extension set to open everything in new tabs (even the links that would open in the same window or tab) but I'm sure "new window" links have always opened in a new tab rather than a new window for me (even before getting the extension).

(Maybe I'm mis-remembering that, I changed from Opera to Firefox and got the Tabbed Browsing extension very soon after so maybe I just don't remember a brief period of things opening in new windows rather than tabs.)

PurplePenny 13:35 16 Sep 05

Well it seems that it was my memory at fault! (No surprise there.)

I've just installed the latest update to Tabbedbraowser Preferences (or whatever the tabbed browsing extension is called) and it messed up. I had to uninstall it so I'm without it right now.

I used the opportunity to find out ho, as you said, it does indeed open them in a new window not a new tab.

I want the extension back, I want everything opening in new tabs again :-(

ade.h 17:19 16 Sep 05

Your comment inspired me to try Tabbed Browser Preferences; it works fine for me, version no. (I assume that's the latest). If it's the same, try re-installing it.

PurplePenny 22:41 16 Sep 05

Is that the latest on the Moz site now? It was that gave me problems. When I went back to the extensions section a lot of people had posted that there were problems with it so maybe the developer put the previous version back up.

Someone had posted a link to another version of .4 that doesn't have problems so I installed that and now it is working just fine.

Glad you like it, it's one of my favourite extensions.

Taran 14:26 17 Sep 05

I thought I'd read something recently about new tabs from hyperlinks, but it took a while to remember where I'd seen it (blame it on my age).

click here

Search the text for "open in new tab"

Sadly this is a CSS3 solution and so will not be as reliable as it might due to less than 100% support from browser software.

Also keep in mind that if you ever go XHTML strict then using a target= in your hyperlinks will invalidate the page since it just isn't allowed any longer [sigh]

ade.h 16:42 17 Sep 05

Ooh, XHTML; I'm not up to tackling that kind of stuff yet! Anyway, thanks very much for the link. I guess that means that it's down to each individual browser to decide how a new page should be handled based on how it interprets the target=new command.

PurplePenny 17:33 17 Sep 05

... so the XHTML Strict gurus open them with JavaScript ... is that daft or what!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…