Can jetAudio media player replace Real Player?

JYPX 01:56 15 Aug 04

Someone recently was singing the praises of jetAudio media player, and in particular, it's ability to play real media video files. What I want to know is this: to achieve this, does the official Real Player have to remain installed (as I believe is sometimes the case in these matters).
And if Real Player was removed could I default such as BBC streaming audio to jetAudio? And how would I do that? I am now convinced that Real Player is the culprit for System Restore point failures and am most reluctant to continue using it.

Chegs ® 02:14 15 Aug 04

I binned RealPlayer awhile back,initially I used a mediaplayer "plugin" called RealAlternative in its place.Then I to heard about JetAudio,yes it will play Real Media(but I seem to recall that BBC HAS to have it)To enable JetAudio to play Real Media,click preferences/file types and tick the boxes. click here

john-232317 07:53 15 Aug 04

Yes Chegs ® is right jetaudio does the trick for BBC stuff ;-))

Stuartli 13:17 15 Aug 04

I use WMP9, QuickTime and RealOne and have done with Windows 98, 98SE and XP Pro - QT and RealOne have to be configured to do exactly as YOU want, especially in the case of Real.com...:-)

Stuartli 13:18 15 Aug 04

To anyone who desires to be pedantic, I naturally mean earlier versions of the players with earlier versions of Windows...:-)

JYPX 13:56 15 Aug 04

Thanks all. Gonna give it a go.

pj123 15:47 15 Aug 04

Although this thread is closed, I can confirm that JetAudio can stream Realplayer files. I use jetaudio exclusively now and have just (today) downloaded a 6mb update. Once installed jetaudio needs to be set up to accept real (.ram, .ra) files. The way to do it is, open jetaudio, go to Preferences, File Type Association and in the right hand window click on Check All, and then Update, and then OK. Next time jetaudio is run it will play realplayer files. You don't have to have RealPlayer installed on your computer at all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…