//some 3rd party need geo

can internal hard drive convert to external?

Keithrow 23:14 19 Aug 05

I have changed my system and have a Seagate 30Gbyte hard drive from my old computer. I thought I would be able to use it in the new machine as a backup device.
My problem is that the old drive is connected to the m/b by a 'wide cable' and the new one via a totally different cable, much narrower. Not very technical I'm affraid.
Is there a way that I can connect the old drive externally? Perhaps via a caddy and either parralel or usb?
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Keith

DieSse 23:17 19 Aug 05

No problems at all. An external USB2/Firewire (whichever suits you - probably USB2 is marginally more straightforward) enclosure with an internal IDE interface will do you nicely. They're the commonest type and available just about "anywhere".

Keithrow 23:27 19 Aug 05

Is it possible for you to give me instructions using a nearby sledghammer?
What exactly do I need and any ideas where I might get it/one/them? USB2 sounds good to me.
Keith

woodchip 23:35 19 Aug 05

Case with Drivers £20 at computer fair

DieSse 23:41 19 Aug 05

Suitable cases click here or any computer store.

Take the drive out of the system. Make sure jumper is set to Master (it probably already is). Install it in the case just a few screws - instructions usually with case - make sure you've got a USB2 cable with the case, if not get one when you buy it.

Plug into a USB2 port - WinXP will recognise it automatically. Format to remove old contents - if not done alreay.

It's realy, really, easy.

DieSse 23:42 19 Aug 05

PS - the case should have an external "transformer" type power supply with it.

Keithrow 23:46 19 Aug 05

I'm grateful for the responses, many thanks,
Keith

DieSse 23:51 19 Aug 05

Some cheap external caddies click here

Keithrow 07:58 30 Sep 05

Just thought i'd let you know that the drive is cosily enclosed in it's brand new caddy. I got it on e-bay for the princly sum of £4.99!
All is now right with the world and thanks to your help, I have a back up device recycled from my old computer.
Best wishes
Keith

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…