Can installing an old hard drive cause any damage

Eric half-a-bee 13:51 05 May 06

I have an old hard drive from my first pc that ran Windows 3.1 - a massive 365 mb - if I install this in my current PC (XP pro) is it likely to cause any harm?

Totally-braindead 13:54 05 May 06

No, but seeing as how its so small its hardly worth it. Just remember to set it as a slave to your main C drive which will be the master.

Totally-braindead 13:55 05 May 06

Oh you may need to format it as well.

Eric half-a-bee 13:56 05 May 06

Thanks - it's not important, but I just found it and I'm wondering if I transferred everything off it when I dumped the rest of the machine.

Smiler 14:20 05 May 06

As Totally-braindead says it's so small. Even a cd has more capacity than that hard drive. But it would probably be worth checking to make sure you removed everthing you needed.

Eric half-a-bee 14:27 05 May 06

Didn't work - connected it all up and nothing happened when turning the PC on - then very worryingly nothing happened when I disconnected it and turned the PC on - but unplugging from the mains sorted that - tried a for more of combinations of connections and nothing worked - so it's now heading the way the rest of the machine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…