Can install Linux, Vista & 7... but not XP?

SirMetal 14:52 13 Mar 10

Hey guys, a few months ago I was thinking about putting XP on my laptop, seeing as I wanted to run some old games.

I can install all Linux distros, Vista and 7, however when I pop my XP disc in, it progresses to the blue "loading?" screen. It never gets to the install screen though, as it always BSoD's before it has the chance to get there.

Sometimes the disc wont even get to the "loading" screen, it just gets stuck after trying to boot from the CD.

I would love XP on my laptop, so any advice would be great!

System specs:

HP G60;
Core 2 Duo 2Ghz
3Gb RAM
256Mb nVidia 9200m
250Gb HDD

Hope this article made sense!

Pine Man 15:06 13 Mar 10

Corrupt/damaged disc?

Borrow somebody else's and use your product key with it.

SirMetal 15:08 13 Mar 10

Thanks for the response Pine Man.

I have tried the disc on my old laptop and my home desktop (didn't install it, but saw how far it would progress, it seemed normal.)

Any other suggestions?

OTT_B 15:10 13 Mar 10

No SATA support on early XP releases?
Try creating an XP SP3 slip-streaming copy.

SirMetal 15:14 13 Mar 10

Thanks OTT_B, I shall try doing that later and let you know how it goes.

Terry Brown 15:16 13 Mar 10

If you have any Vista or Window 7 on your system, microsoft will see XP as a backward step and refuse to load it.

This includes any settings in the BIOS.
Terry

SirMetal 15:23 13 Mar 10

Thanks Terry Brown, however I have loaded the disc fine on my home desktop which has Windows 7 on it.

Zeppelyn 22:42 13 Mar 10

Your right, having Win 7 on a system will not stop you installing XP although it will overwrite the Win 7 boot sector. To correct this you will need to use the Win7 DVD and select Repair your Computer rather than install.

You say its giving you a BSOD before you get to the install option. That makes me think its a driver issue. Whats the message you are getting when it blue screens? Is a driver mentioned on the blue screen?

robin_x 23:37 13 Mar 10

Recent post may help?

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced