Can I use the XP disc that came with my PC

Halmer 15:03 22 Nov 03

to upgrade a second PC in the house, assuming that it's modern enough spec wise?

Or will Bill Gates come knocking on my door?

rawprawn 15:12 22 Nov 03

I think Bill Gates will come knocking.

soy 15:16 22 Nov 03

Maybe, but your going to have to register it sooner or later within 30 Days. The code will spring up and Microsoft will see the configuration has changed and won't give you the activation code.

Xp is only allowed to be installed on one PC. Sucks I know, but thats how it is.

hugh-265156 15:17 22 Nov 03

yes you can use it,if its a full copy of xp,to install on another computer.

if however you already have it installed on another computer at the same time,you will not be able to activate it and thus will only be able to try it for thirty days.

then the computer explodes and you are whisked off to the nearest prison.:-)

Rikku 15:21 22 Nov 03

you are only allowed to install it on one pc at a time so if you were doing things legally then you would delete it off your other computer and install it on the other . .well thatswht i was told in a topic a few months ago.

Djohn 15:23 22 Nov 03

Yes you can do it, and it will activate on your second computer if the activation on your first PC was more than three months back.

Should you do it? Well, that is for you to decide. j.

Kudu 15:29 22 Nov 03

No problem doing this.What would happen if you bought a new computer,you would have to activate XP again when you installed it on the new one.It's just the same then on a second computer but problems can arise if you have to format the first computer for some reason and try to activate again.

Forum Editor 15:32 22 Nov 03

and if you do instal XP on a second machine you have breached the copyright agreement.

Mike @ 16:07 22 Nov 03

Is there not a way to get a seocnd licence but not buy another copy of WINXP? eg. You cna buy a £50 licence if you already ahve a copy of WINXP...?

Rayuk 16:12 22 Nov 03

Or if its an oem edition you have even less chance of using it on another pc.[longer than 30 days]

Forum Editor 16:34 22 Nov 03

When you buy a copy of WinXP it's the licence you're really buying - the CD itself, and any packaging represents a very small proportion of the overall cost. In the retail market there's no way of buying additional licences - you have to get a complete new pack - but there are several multiple licencing schemes for business users. In that context you pay for the number of 'desks'in your network. The corporate licencing schemes are complex, and they aren't relevant to your question.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…