Can I use Skype With A Dongle On My PC?

caggybutton 16:45 PM 12 Feb 10

Hi,

My friend who has a Desktop PC but no broadband connection wants to video chat to his daughter in Australia via the internet, would a wirelesss dongle work with a desktop and would skype work also?

thanks.

Technotiger 16:51 PM 12 Feb 10

A wireless dongle would not work of course, needs a connection from a router.

One of these probably would work click here

and if you can go on-line, then no reason why Skype should not work also.

caggybutton 16:54 PM 12 Feb 10

If you need a router how come you can use skype on mobile phones?

Technotiger 17:06 PM 12 Feb 10

I assumed you were talking about a desktop PC, not a mobile phone!

Woolwell 17:13 PM 12 Feb 10

Skype on a mobile uses internet data. This can cost. Alternatively you could use wi-fi at a hotspot.

Before getting a mobile dongle for the desktop (which should work) I suggest that you check coverage and that a signal can be obtained and how much per month it will cost. There can be a usage cap per month.

It may be better to get broadband.

Technotiger 17:32 PM 12 Feb 10

Alternatively you could use wi-fi at a hotspot.

Hi, I would have said that, but not for a Desktop PC! My 'click here' gives the alternatives.

Woolwell 17:37 PM 12 Feb 10

I know - I was trying to answer the question about Skype on a mobile with my first para.

Your click here is the way ahead without going down the land line broadband route.

caggybutton 18:04 PM 12 Feb 10

Thanks for everyones help.

Just so I understand.

My friend will NOT be able to use his webcam to see his daughter with a dongle and his desktop unless he buys a router?

Is that correct?

Technotiger 18:06 PM 12 Feb 10

Nearly correct - one of the dongles in my link above would probably work. But not cheap for use with Skype, which of course is free if you have proper broadband.

caggybutton 18:24 PM 12 Feb 10

Which one of those dongles would work, and why?

Thanks again.

Technotiger 18:27 PM 12 Feb 10

Any of them, they are simply Mobile Broadband - usually used on laptops though, rather than on Desktops.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get free stuff for Android: Amazon Underground offers genuinely free Android apps and free…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Swedish schoolkids use Minecraft to redesign Stockholm city centre

Apple's special event invitations decoded: A look back at 13 of Apple's most cryptic invites