Can I use a SATA hard drive

wobblymike 07:12 14 Feb 06

I mistakenly purchased a sata hard drive - it came with an adaptor comprising an IDE socket on the back of a bit of circuit board which has a molex connctor on it and a cable with a 3 pin (floppy type) connctor on one end and the sata power (I guess) plug on the other. I don't know whether the ide socket goes on to the mobo or whether it's intended to go on the back of a normal ide hard drive. Whatever, is there any way I can use this sata hard drive in my conventional IDE pc?

PC Bilbo 07:17 14 Feb 06

What motherboard do you have?

wobblymike 07:30 14 Feb 06

K7Vmm board from ASUS (I think it's ASUS)

Grantrh 11:42 14 Feb 06

I think you plug the board into the IDE connector on the Motherboard and then plug your SATA HDD into the connectors onto the other side of the board.

wobblymike 12:05 14 Feb 06

ok - I have only one lead that goes from the pcb to the sata drive thats a small one which (I think) is a power lead there is another socket on the sata drive which I guess is the data one what do I connect that too and with what? hope you can advise

PC Bilbo 12:12 14 Feb 06

wobblymike. Your board does not natively support SATA but if you could add support witha PCI card which would enable the best perfo

PC Bilbo 12:14 14 Feb 06

sorry transmitted before I intended.

...... performance from your new drive.

See here for example. click here

Grantrh 12:24 14 Feb 06

PC Bilbo is right your motherboard does not support SATA so unless you want to get a PCI controller card as he suggests, you should maybe see about trying to send it back.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:34 14 Feb 06
  phil46 13:18 14 Feb 06

I use a SATA drive on a 7 year old Brio via a SATA host controller card about £14 to £17,
but remember if you go down this road you must press F6 to install Raid the Raid floppy should
come with the card otherwise the MOBO will not read the correct Hard drive size above 129GB i think.

wobblymike 16:11 14 Feb 06

Guys much obliged I'll get myself a controller card

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…