Can I use same OS when changing motherboard?

Muttly 07:34 20 Oct 03

I am thinking of changing my MS6368 V2.1 PLE motherboard so I can fit a bigger CPU. Could I use my current Windows ME OS with a new board and CPU? I have only got the restore disks for my OS.

Lozzy 07:42 20 Oct 03

Yes you can.. However I would seriously consider upgrading to XP..

leo49 08:50 20 Oct 03

Nothing to physically stop you - though if you have an OEM copy there are legal nicety issues:

click here

Rtus 10:03 20 Oct 03

May I just ask are you just going to change the mother board leaving your present Me setup on the drive? If so it may not like it at all ,another point being if youve the recovery disk ,Its likely to be to recover the system as its set now .Do you have the WinMe disk or just the recovery disk ? Transfering the O/S (winME clean instal)isnt a problem providing you have all device drivers & Product numbers needed to instal the software again ,They will be on the system now so dont remove anything untill you noted the numbers down..

pj123 11:56 20 Oct 03

Yes you can, but check out this previous thread before you do. click here

Muttly 19:20 20 Oct 03

I only have the recovery copy of ME. So I won't be able to do a clean install (I think!), tell me if you know otherwise. I checked out the other thread about using existing hard drives loaded with old setups, looks like I may have a problem with registry entries if I dont install from scratch. May as well build from new!

leo49 19:25 20 Oct 03

As long as your Options folder on your PC is intact, you can simply burn this to CD and then run an install with a startup floppy - that's how I do it whenever I want to install ME. In nearly 3 years,I've never used the Recovery disc that came with the PC but used the above method.

simongy 19:46 20 Oct 03

i would upgrade o/s to xp

R4 19:50 20 Oct 03

New Motherboard will require new Motherboard drivers that should come with the new MB.

You will have to remov the old Drivers first which may give a problem.

Muttly 09:11 21 Oct 03

Thanks for the help. Sounds like its going to take some tinkering. I'll check out my options folder and stick with ME if eveything is OK in my "options folder". I hate XP, used it before. It may be full of drivers and easy to set up, but it feels so c@@p! :-) Cheers!

leo49 09:29 21 Oct 03

It doesn't have to be your Options folder - you can use the Options from any ME machine.If you get stuck give me a shout.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…