Can I use my PC to fax?

I am running windows xp and have Office 2003 (student licence) which includes word, outlook,& excel.I am using Broadband.
Can I download a programme (preferably free or inexpensive!) to send faxes from my PC (maybe I already have the facility??)
Thanks!

accord 11:14 15 Jul 04

Yes you can fax from your pc, XP has its own fax console, go to start, programs, accessories, communications then fax.

You cant fax via broadband so you will need a normal dial up modem.

As im on broadband, I use a USB modem for sending faxes and click here for incoming faxes.

Hopoe this helps.

accord 11:16 15 Jul 04

Sorry should have wrote,

You cant fax via broadband so you will need a normal dial up modem plugged into your phone socket, not your BB socket.

Im on NTL BB so i dont have any filters plugged into the BT socket on the wall.

postie 11:20 15 Jul 04

I have down loaded Efax which is free but sends it as an E-Mail si I domt know if this will help click here

postie

Stuartli 11:23 15 Jul 04

This question is asked several times a month...:-)

Here's some forum links (via the still not very efficient Search facility):

click here

Thanks for all your replies. I have Pipex Broad Band so do have a dial up facility but does it have to be into a filter free socket then?

Sorry about asking same question!Thanks for all your replies. I have Pipex Broad Band so do have a dial up facility but does it have to be into a filter free socket then?

My PC doesn't show fax as you said it
has Hyper Termional and then lots of Network Connections but no fax!
Any ideas!

accord 12:08 15 Jul 04

did you go to start, programs, accessories, communications then fax? I think this should be a standard component of XP.

If not then go to My Computer,
click on Add Remove programs on left hand side, In the next box which opens, click on Add Remove Windows Components.
If there isnt a 'tick' in the Fax Services then tick the box.
You will then be asked to insert your Win XP CD for it to install. Follow instructions from there.

Have installed it- thanks!! Will now check past threads to see if there is a way of using it with Broad Band as that is paid for! (if you see what I mean) Thanks!

cga 12:52 15 Jul 04

There are services where you can arrange for emails to be forwarded on by fax and received faxes to arrive as emails. You have to sign up for these and there is a cost.
I dont have links to hand but I found them by searching the web.
I have not used one so I cannot confirm the quality of the service.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…