Can i use my netgear router as just a dsl modem?

paulsif 20:05 09 Jun 09

Hello im in the process of leaving sky bb and thinking of going with bt, the reason being i brought a D-Link DIR 825 router but sky will only let me use their own router. So basiclly i've got a nice shiny D-Link router that i wont be able to use without a DSL modem.

I have my Sagem sky router and also a Netgear DG834PN router that I could use as a modem if possible? if this could be done I would be very grateful if someone could help me.

Many thanks.

mgmcc 22:00 09 Jun 09

Assuming that the Netgear DG834 isn't a Sky router and locked to the Sky service, then "Yes" you could daisy-chain the DG834 and the D-Link routers, although I'm not sure what you would hope to achieve.

Set the DG834 up in the usual way to connect to the internet and then connect the D-Link's WAN port to one of the DG834's LAN ports. Where the D-Link would normally get its WAN IP address from the ISP, it will now get a 192.168.0.x WAN address allocated by the DG834. It is *IMPORTANT* that the D-Link router doesn't also operate in the 192.168.0.0 Subnet so, if its own IP address is 192.168.0.1 this will need to be changed to something like 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.2.1 so that it allocates addresses to connected computers in a different range from the DG834.

If the connected computers are to be networked for File & Printer Sharing, they will all need to connect to the D-Link Router, otherwise they will have addresses in different Subnets and the Subnet Mask prevents them from communicating.

mgmcc 22:03 09 Jun 09

Incidentally, for this arrangement, it won't make the slightest difference whether the ISP is Sky or an alternative ADSL provider, you are still using the D-Link as a subordinate router to the main one which is connecting to the ISP.

Only if you had Virgin's *CABLE* broadband could you connect the D-Link Router directly to the Internet (via the supplied Cable Modem).

paulsif 11:27 10 Jun 09

Thanks for your help when im with my new isp ill give it a try

dms_05 15:41 11 Jun 09

Many people use alternative Routers on Sky without any problems. You can extract your Sky username and password easily using this click here and then enter this information in your new router. No need to change ISP (after all Sky is totally free and you aren't likely to get a better offer).

If you need any more help try the independent Sky User forums on click here

paulsif 18:02 12 Jun 09

The reason i would like to use two routers is that my D-Link router does not contain a modem and is i've got a Netgear router then I may as well use that than buy a adsl modem. As for the last message I tried it and it does not work, well not for me anyway.

Tech Guy 18:23 12 Jun 09

dms_05

Under Sky's T&Cs you have to use thier router. Although you can extract the username (router's [email protected]) and password to use another router. I have heard of many people who have had their sky BB suspended because using a 3rd party router. (They can tell as the router's MAC will not be the same as the username).

I had Sky BB and thier router is fine so there is really no need to change it. To add N wireless I just added an N AP.

paulsif 13:27 13 Jun 09

Im changing my isp anyway so what I need to know is how to get a DSL connection to my DLink router. As you said there is nothing wrong with the sky router I just want to know how to get a connection with what I have got.

ashleycardwell94 00:05 10 Sep 09

is it a DLINK adsl router?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now