can i use my laptop as a car entertainment centre

lonemascot 18:03 26 Aug 06

I have a fairly decent laptop which is a bit redundant due to me buying a new computer.

i was wondering if it would be possible to connect it to the display screen and head unit in my car.

I could use it as a DVD player and storage for my music.

any ideas on how to do this would be much appreciated especially as i know it isnt a typical pc based question?

thanks guys

vinnyT 13:32 27 Aug 06

This site may be of interest click here.

€dstowe 14:41 27 Aug 06

Not a wise move, I think.

Consider the reasons that TV sets are not on the dashboards of cars and you'll realise that computers or DVD players shouldn't be there either.

Pidder 15:37 27 Aug 06

I thought tv etc displays visible to the driver used to be illegal, have things changed?

Belatucadrus 15:59 27 Aug 06

The cars with preinstalled TVs in the dashboards turn the screen off when you engage gear. Don't know about the new generation of self fit DVD players, but would count them as potentially lethal if there's no failsafe.

lonemascot 19:24 27 Aug 06

no doubt any distraction in a car while you are driving is potentially lethal.

what i'm really after is the music storage side of things. i have a ridiculous amount of CD's in my car. i wanted to store them and play them via my laptop.

of course my laptop would have the added facilty of having a display that could in theory act as a DVD screen (for when i am stationary of course), an interface between car and me that gives me real time diagnostics of the cars performance and a large screen sat nav system.

woodchip 19:46 27 Aug 06

You would need a DC to AC inverter for it to run

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced