Can I use my Agfa scanner with Vista?

tim.h 22:10 26 Nov 07

I have just bought a new PC with Vista Home Premium and I cannot get my Agfa Snapscan 1212u scanner to work. I downloaded Scanwise_Installer_1212u.bin from (I can't remember which site) the net, which purported to be Vista compatible drivers, but Vista will not run the file and I need to know if there are alternative sources for this scanner driver. I know that Agfa no longer support scanners. Any ideas, please.

MAJ 22:46 26 Nov 07

That's a bin file you have downloaded, it's not really a driver file. Are you sure you downloaded from the correct link? As you say, Agfa don't support those scanners anymore, it's unlikely that there will be a Vista driver available.

Totally-braindead 22:54 26 Nov 07

I think theres no chance at all of getting a Vista driver for an Agfa scanner. When I moved to XP I couldn't even get an XP driver and look how long ago that was.

I think you'll have to get a new scanner.

Unless someone has a workaround.

Spark6 23:27 26 Nov 07

If you were able to use your Agfa on XP consider yourself a clever operator, mine was ditched a couple of years ago. On Vista, I'll leave others to comment.

Stuartli 23:52 26 Nov 07

>>If you were able to use your Agfa on XP consider yourself a clever operator>>

No, not a clever operator in the slightest.

I have the same scanner and I'm able to use it without problems on XP because a driver was issued for USB scanners (at the very least in this case) by Agfa.

However, the 1212p (parellel) scanner couldn't be used with XP because no driver was ever issued.

But I'll bet most of my pension that Vista is out of the question as Agfa stopped support for its scanners several years ago..:-)

jakimo 02:53 27 Nov 07

I have the 1212u sat in the loft,it was a problem to get it to run with XP,and Vista even in compatable mode don`t want to know

Stuartli 08:33 27 Nov 07

The Scanwise 2.0.0.9 driver for use with the 1212u SnapScan scanner can be found here:

click here

I was using the 1212u only the other day to copy some forms for a friend (using XP Pro system).

Stuartli 08:34 27 Nov 07

The driver link is, of course, only for systems up to XP.

€dstowe 08:44 27 Nov 07

Agfa got out of scanners at about the same time as XP was launched. It was only due to badgering from users having just bought a Snapscan to find it was obsolescent that persuaded them to produce XP drivers.

The chance of Vista drivers is almost none.

Scanners are a lot lower cost now than when Snapscan was new, perhaps time to consider a new one.

interzone55 09:07 27 Nov 07

I had to pass on a perfectly good Agfa E50 because it won't work on Vista. I tried every workaround I could think of to get the XP drivers to work in Vista Home Premium but it was no use.

I passed it on to the person who bought my XP PC and bought an Epson V100 instead. There isn't an official Vista driver for this scanner either (or there wasn't when I bought it) but I managed to get the driver to run in compatibility mode. This is a very good scanner, better and faster than the E50, it has just been superseded by the Epson E200 click here

tim.h 22:41 27 Nov 07

I've sussed it myself and yes the old Agfa scanner will work under Vista. Following a Google trawl, I found Vuescan at click here from where you can download the full software for trial. It produces watermarked scans which can be removed by buying the serial no. for US$39.95. IT WORKS!! and also for many other old and otherwise unsupported scanners. It's cheaper than buying another decent scanner.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5