Can I use McAfee's firewall without the anti viris and use AVG for this

erkmatrix 08:59 28 Jan 14

Hi I've installed McAfee Internet suite free for a year to Sky TV subscribers and installed in in January, all went Ok till Last Saturday it gave me the BSOD and doing research with the stop code 0X000000D1 and the error mentioning mfehidk.sys file was at fault, which is apparantly something to do with the McAfee anti-virus, someone mentioned they had a patch but I can't seem to locate it anywhere.

So my question is, could I disable the anti-virus but still keep the firewall working on the internet suite and download one of the free anti virus like AVG to do that bit. Or would thing cause more issues cause I've heard you shouldn't have installed more than one at a time.

Cheers

Pine Man 10:08 28 Jan 14

Suggest you download the McAfee removal tool and remove all trace of McAfee then reinstall and it should update itself with the latest patches etc.

rickf 10:52 28 Jan 14

Why go through all the hassles. Just use AVG and its firewall. Dump McAfee. I originally used the free version but then bought one with 3 yr licence and not had any probs at all.

Woolwell 11:20 28 Jan 14

What is your OS? If you have Vista, W7 or W8 then built in firewall should be good enough.

onthelimit1 11:27 28 Jan 14

I've found a lot of problems with McAfee slowing computers. Tend to use AVG now (before I used Avast or MSE as an alternative).

erkmatrix 11:35 28 Jan 14

Wow thanks for all the replies.

I thought it was probably not something that would work.

I'll defo try the uninstall and then install idea first as it would save me the hassle of buying a new one.

I have Windows 7 with 64bit so was going to go for a free firewall but they all don't seem to work with 64bit.

AVG internet security for 3 years is a little out of my price range right now

Zak 11:52 28 Jan 14

erkmatrix

As Woolwell wrote use AVG free as your anti virus and stay with the Win 7 firewall. That is what I use and have for a long time with no problems.

spuds 12:17 28 Jan 14

While it eventually ends up with the decision of computer owner, I have found and always used free protection software program's with very good results.

On the particular computer I am using at the moment, it contains W7 own firewall, Avast plus SuperAntiSpyware and MalwareBytes for the safeguards of that machine.

I do have McAfee Security Suite (disabled) on the computer, but all that seems to do is remind me of fixes, then wants payment :O(

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced