Can I use a Japanese printer with an English OS?

Tomiko 08:15 26 May 03

HEllo,

I'm currently debating whether or not to buy a PC with a Japanese OS, as I live in Japan, or to wait for summer and buy a PC with an English OS in the UK. I'd rather buy the English OS as it's much easier for me to understand, but I'm worried that it won't work with Japanese software/hardware.

At the moment I have a very old PC with an English OS, which I only ever use for word-processing. I have recently experienced trouble intsalling a new printer that I bought in Japan, as the driver disk that came with it was in Japanese. I don't know whether the fact that it is in Japanese is the problem or not. I tried to then install it manually, but the printer model was not on the drop-down menu (it's a HP deskjet 840C). I then started to wonder if models have different names in different countries and if my printer was called something else in the UK.

If I buy a laptop in the UK, will I be able to use the things I buy in Japan with it - such as digital cameras, printers, internet connection gear etc.

Sorry I'm not very technical about describing things - I'm a real novice! I'd really appreciate some advice.

Tomiko

Lú-tzé 08:33 26 May 03

For the most part, I think that if a peripheral (printer / scanner / digital camera and so on) is compatible with a particular Operating System (most likely WinXP these days), then it will be ok whatever the country of origin.

"Internet connection gear", however, I am not so sure of. Depends on what it is.

-pops- 09:02 26 May 03

The only language a computer understands is "0" and "1". ALL other languages whether English/Japanese/Martian are attempts made by the computer to communicate with the human race.

It depends entirely on the expertise of the maker of the software involved if your computer can communicate in your own language and very often you can find various translations of the graphical interface/manuals etc. to suit your own requirements.

For example Nero comes in all these languages:

Chinese (simplified)
Chinese (traditional)
Czech
Danish
Dutch
English
Finnish
French
German
Greek
Hungarian
Italian
Korean
Norwegian
Polish
Portuguese
Portuguese (Brasilian)
Russian
Slovak
Slovenian
Spanish
Spanish (South-America)
Swedish
Thai
Turkish

But the thing that burns your disks is the same for all.

Brian

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How Nearly Normal created super-fun papercraft for Google

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos