Can I use fax software with pc via broadband

suedeblue 16:32 19 Dec 05

Does anyone know if it is possible to use fax software on your pc when the telephone line is used for both the phone and broadband.
I have tried using fax on my pc but the pc does not recognise the call and it goes straight to my telephone ansaphone.
The logical answer i think is to take the ansaphone off the telephone when expecting an incoming fax.
Any help would be much appreciated.

woodchip 16:35 19 Dec 05

No you have to use a Dial-Up Modem

suedeblue 16:37 19 Dec 05

Had a feeling it would not work. Thanks for the info.

suedeblue 16:38 19 Dec 05

Thanks.

DieSse 16:43 19 Dec 05

FAX only works on the regular dial-up line - so you need to have the modem connected to the line, via a mocrofilter.

If you also have an answerphone, then there is a catch-22. If you set the PC to answer first, and it's not a fax - it cannot hand the line back to the answerphone - and vice-versa.

One solution is simply to disconnect the answerphone - another is to make the PC answer first (ie in less rings).

A better one is to get a fax-to-email service, such as efax, which gives you a fax number where they take the fax, convert it to email, then send you the email. I've used them for many years without any problems at all. The advantage is that your computer doesn't even need to be switched on - and for people who phone your current number to send a fax, you can leave a message on the answerphone with your new fax number.

click here from time to time they give out free fax reception services - that's what I've had for many years.

DieSse 16:45 19 Dec 05

*so you need to have the modem connected to the line*

that's the dial-up modem, as woodchip indicated

woodchip 16:47 19 Dec 05

As DieSse above but if you use SuperVoice Software it will do both

Stuartli 17:13 19 Dec 05

An ordinary telephone extension cable to which the modem cable's BT plug can be inserted into is sufficient if you are some distance from the telephone line socket.

You don't need microfilters (splitters) for this purpose, just a phone line, unless of course the BB modem's lead is used from a splitter that also serves the phone and you need to use the BT phone output section.

Even then a double adapter will serve both the phone and the dialup modem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017