Can I use an external hard drive?

Zebrapec 15:13 26 Nov 05

I have an old (7years) Tiny computer, it runs win xp and has two 4Gig hard drives & 512RAM. I have heard that I cannot run a bigger internal HD because of the motherboard restrictions. Do these same restrictions apply to an external HD?

kinger 15:15 26 Nov 05

When you purchase an external drive, you should be albe to allow formatting for bigger drives using the utility that comes with the drive.

I had a seagate drive recently and was warned about the support problem. However, using the supplied software, it worked a treat.

Totally-braindead 15:22 26 Nov 05

I'm not sure of this hard drive restriction you mention, there is a restriction on hard drives above 137mb I think it is but that is on Windows 98. Before you go further I would try to ascertain what motherboard your PC actually has and see if it will support a larger drive. I personally have not heard of a motherboard restricting the size of a hard drive like this and suspect this is not the case. I can see no reason you couldn't install a 3rd drive of say 80 gig or more. I may be wrong here but I would find out what motherboard you have before making any decision.

Zebrapec 15:36 26 Nov 05

Totally-braindead, thanks for the response, but I do not know the name of the motherboard that is the problem, and when I use 'third party' programs to find out the info they all come back with the response ' Mother board' - 'origin unknown' I think that Tiny used a undisclosed version.

Totally-braindead 15:38 26 Nov 05

How about looking at the case of the PC for name/model number, that together with processor speed and memory may be enough for someone to identify it.

kinger 15:41 26 Nov 05

137GB was the limit, I believe.

My new hard drive was 300GB and so required a quick fix with the aforementioned software supplied.

When using XP service pack 2, however, this wasn't an issue and, when installing further drives (yes, I've got a lot)they installed instantly, no software needed.

Zebrapec 15:50 26 Nov 05

Ok, don't all laugh, here is some info. Intel Pen.11 Pro. 350MHz. 256MB RAM. running WIN xp with SP2.

Longhouse 03:02 27 Nov 05

Had problems installing a 20Gb to a sony laptop to replace an installed 4.3Gb due to BIOS limitations. I couldn't flash the BIOS (it wouldn't take) and neither would drive overlay software.

I resorted to installing the drive in USB external enclosure to transport data between other machines and found that the laptop could see the 20GB perfectly as external drive!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…