can I use 3rd pty cd to load windows

justkevin 18:06 07 Apr 07

I want to format my harddrive and don't have the original cd like I thought I did,I only have the cd containing word and excel powerpoint etc and I don't think that is the right cd.If I use a 3rd pty's cd to load say windows xp,will that be a problem ,or is it straightforward.I am assuming that they will have the cd given to them when they bought the pc a few years ago

Technotiger 18:09 07 Apr 07

Not possible, unless it is put back onto the original pc. Illegal to put it on any other pc.

Kate B 18:10 07 Apr 07

You can use someone else's CD provided that a) it's the same version of XP as you had and b) you've got your licence key - you can't use someone else's licence key. It should be on a sticker on the PC itself somewhere.

Kate B 18:11 07 Apr 07

Incidentally, that's for a full version of XP - you can't use a restore disc from someone else's machine as it will be set up for their hardware, not yours.

justkevin 19:25 07 Apr 07

Hi thanks for your replies,the original was not xp but 2000 professional and there would not be a sticker on the pc as it was a self build.Is there any way of "unpartitioning" my hard drive at all.That is the only reason I want to do it,what would be the problem with using someone else's licence key?

Technotiger 19:48 07 Apr 07

Problem is that the original XP has already been registered in someone elses name and on their PC, so as I said, illegal to use on any other PC under the same licence. One licence for one PC.

2neat 12:59 10 Apr 07

click here|693375497&gclid=CNjM2LyNuIsCFShJEAodLFRLxw

Win 2000 is old too now!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…