can I use 2 routers on 1 phone line?

lubobear 11:32 03 Jan 08

I have just had my garage converted into an office and moved my router there with my new PC. It means now unfortunately my laptop and other PC in the house don't pick up the signal well enough - it keeps breaking up. Can I instal another router inside the house I can use instead even though they will be plugged in to the same phone line or will the signal interfere with each other? Sorry for sounding stupid!

conan_troutman 12:36 03 Jan 08

all you need is a wirless range extender...about £60 from PC world

lubobear 13:42 03 Jan 08

No - the electricity is not on the same circuit so apparently that is no good. I was told they need to be on the same circuit for the signal to travel.

Kemistri 14:28 03 Jan 08

You cannot have two DSL devices active simultaneously on one phone line, connecting to the same ISP, for obvious reasons. I'm a bit surprised that you expected to receive a good wireless signal from a garage, through one or more outer walls. The obvious ideal solution involves Ethernet, preferably with an AP (Access Point). As you haven't mentioned it, I'm assuming that you use a combined modem/router with an ADSL service.

Colline 17:12 03 Jan 08

I can see you can't connect 2 DSL modems to your phone lines at the same time, but in my experience you can run a modem (/router) on one phone outlet point and then turn that off and user another modem (/router) when you want internet access somewhere else in the house.
So if you don't need access in the house when you are in your office just switch modems.
Alternatively consider a router with a more powerful signal. I've used buffalo airstation for a cable connection and now have a Netgear RangeMax modem/router that both give powerful signals.

conan_troutman 11:30 04 Jan 08

why would it matter what powered it thats like saying you cannot use you remote control with you tv becuase they have different pwersupplies.

usinf=g a LAN exteder via the power circuit would need them to be on the same power lines but I advised a wireless renge extender see below

click here

this how you network would look

Internet__Modem__Router__PC
|
|
WIRELESS EXTEDNER
|
|
other PC

conan_troutman 11:33 04 Jan 08

edit

the wireless signe will come from the router not the internet...thats not how I drew it but you get the idea.

I think you thought I meant these things

click here

kppc 13:14 27 Nov 09

The powerline option is the best way to gain access to your router from elsewhere in the house, but adapers have to be connected to the same electric supply but not the same ring main, basically it uses your house electrical system as network pursumably the earth wire. I have just purchased a wireless powerline adapter because I want to access my Internet next door and the normal wireless signal isn't strong enough. I intend to connect the wireless adapter to a power point in the conservatory which is about 10 feet from my daughter's house next door. This may be an option for you because with a convensional powerline system you would have to have a physical connection between each computer and a powerline adapter which would prevent moving around plus would proably work out more expensive than the wireless option. I'll let you know how it goes.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…